Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New Subheading For The Lounge

UKMan's Avatar Poster
    I was thinking a new sub-heading for the lounge might be appropriate. It seems that many n00bs/newbies are intimidated by the lounge in the fact that only the regulars frequent it - at least 90% of the time. Even though this is great in itself, i would like to see more n00bs come in.

Therefore i suggest renaming the sub-heading to:

Lounge.
    You may talk about anything here. Newbies especially welcome.

It might not seem so obvious, but i know for a fact that many are intimidated by the intimacy of the lounge. We need more new faces there

Peace
    UKMan

2. Lounge   -   #2
    BANNED
    yea
    i think we do need more faces less falmeing may help and mabe stop calling them noobs

3. Lounge   -   #3
    pusher's Avatar The New Moral
    Originally posted by RapFan@26 November 2003 - 14:00
    yea
    i think we do need more faces less falmeing may help and mabe stop calling them noobs

I agree though. More people would start posting more if they knew how casual the lounge is.
    But maybe a message more subtle? Like:

Lounge
    You may talk about anything in here. Just jump in head first.

Just a suggestion.
    The color of this signature is really blue. If you see otherwise, please adjust your monitor settings.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Honey's Avatar unbreakable
    being one of the "newbies" UK.. you are very right..

if i hadnt already known Andie, Ella, cowsy, ang, BD and Jonno... i wouldn't have come in and posted at all...

and it is hard those first few days especially when you're finding your feet..

heck what am i saying... a week later and its still not that easy...

5. Lounge   -   #5
    BANNED
    well my first days in the lounge weren't good ones i was being flamed,insulted,harassed,and called a noob like more times than i can count
    mabe if we stopped that the new members would post there more

6. Lounge   -   #6
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Originally posted by Ozbabe@27 November 2003 - 00:06
    being one of the "newbies" UK.. you are very right..

if i hadnt already known Andie, Ella, cowsy, ang, BD and Jonno... i wouldn't have come in and posted at all...

and it is hard those first few days especially when you're finding your feet..

heck what am i saying... a week later and its still not that easy...
    SPLUTTER!!!!!

There goes the freaking monitor again!

7. Lounge   -   #7
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    i agree with UKMan, the lounge is a nice place but its scary taking the first step

i'm not entirely sure about "Newbies especially welcome" though - maybe something along the lines of "please introduce yourself" or "don't be afraid to post" or "everyone is welcome, except netwiser"
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@26 November 2003 - 15:17
    "everyone is welcome, except netwiser"

lets take this

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Yep - An idea might be to create the area as an area for newbies to post in where the rules would dictate that others cannot do the (apparently) fine art of n00b-bashing in the "newbie's area". It gives new members a place to gain confidence and look around the forums to get more used to the community.

If it helps clear out or move a lot of the conflict and/or the repeatedly asked questions, I'm all for it

10. Lounge   -   #10
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@26 November 2003 - 16:04
    Yep - An idea might be to create the area as an area for newbies to post in where the rules would dictate that others cannot do the (apparently) fine art of n00b-bashing in the "newbie's area". It gives new members a place to gain confidence and look around the forums to get more used to the community.

If it helps clear out or move a lot of the conflict and/or the repeatedly asked questions, I'm all for it
    Thats also a very good suggestion. As you say, it would prepare the real new members for what to expect and how to deal with it. Sounds very complicated, but dosnt have to be.

BD was on the same lines.

This is what i want anyway, new members to not only post questions, but hang out with the regulars.

I have a few PM's from people who have been frightened away, but because of a kind word have at least sent a thank you.

Peace
    UKMan

PS: would be great if a mod/admin could also input here with some ideas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast