Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-dsl Bandwidth

Originally posted by jackc@26 November 2003 - 14:46
    Just to be sure I got it clear: I have an asynchronus DSL connection 384/128. If I get it correctly, then this means that (theoretically, at least), no matter if I hit my full D/L speed limit in Kazaa (384 Kb/s), I still can simultaneously upload up to 128 Kb/s, right?

The other possibility would be that the 384 speed limit is the total maximum. In att case, it would be that if I fully utilised my 128 Kb/s U/L speed limit then I can D/L only up to 256 (=384-128)?

I think that the first is the correct case, but pls advise me on this.
    just remember not to get confussed between bits and bytes, allot of people don't realise the difference, i.e. you have a 384kbit a sec download speed which is a speed of 48kByte a sec, so the max you will get is 48 kBs which is what kazaa lite shows it as, to work it out just divide by 8

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by k-liteuserintheworld@28 November 2003 - 23:07
    just remember not to get confussed between bits and bytes, allot of people don't realise the difference, i.e. you have a 384kbit a sec download speed which is a speed of 48kByte a sec, so the max you will get is 48 kBs which is what kazaa lite shows it as, to work it out just divide by 8
    [QUOTE]

True, I know that. However, let me make a remark here. In K-Lite (and I think in KMD as well, although I am not sure), in the TRANSFER window the D/L speed is shown in "kb/s" which stands for kiloBITS per sec, although I am 99% certain that the measurement is in KB/s (kiloBYTES). Is this just an imperfect notation of K-Lite, or I have got it completely wrong and the speed is really in kilobits?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12