Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there types of scrambled NZB

nQQ's Avatar Poster
    I'm used to NZB that allow posting of scrambled rar file names e.g. qwertyuiop.r01 , qwertyuiop.r02 ... etc that will then contain a file like qwertyuiop.mkv but increasingly there does seem to be NZB here that when you load into alt.binz (my reader of choice) seem to have nonsensical files e.g. jhcg%jc£d , %gftjsl*&%bdi76an^gd, etc. If I proceed to grab them I get the same files but unsure what then to do.

I had assumed that that the files downloaded from my newsserver had been corrupted (maybe partial takedown) but it seems the filenames in the NZB file are similarly named, so there seems to be no obvious way to recompile them. Am I missing something, do they require a particular newsreader or is there a web page somewhere with more info.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Adding the extension .par2 to the smallest file then running it works for me.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by praxis View Post
    Adding the extension .par2 to the smallest file then running it works for me.
    WOW that works - no idea why I didn't think of that! The Par2 then simply renames them to the expected rar files to extract, oh happy days

Thanks praxis

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Glad I found this post. Good info.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Is there something more to it than this? I've done this rename trick and get the rar files, but they still won't open.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Well, why not? Do you get an error or something?
    Have you tried alternate extraction programs?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Sure, says 'cannot open <filexxx.part01.rar> as archive. Using 7-zip, will trying another extraction program.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    You are making life more difficult than needed. Get SAB or Newsbin (my pref) and you click on a single item which will download and unrar/repair via PAR etc. I find SAB doesn`t fix my final filenames which is an arse but newsbin seems to work it out OK (probably just based on the nzb filename but it works)

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I don't like using programs that will download, repair (if necessary), and extract (then delete RARs when done). Sometimes they screw things up. Then I have to redownload files. I like to do each step manually. No f*ckups that way. An extracting problem might be an issue will using an old version of WinRAR or 7-zip.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    or set the program to not delete archives ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast