Thread: How to update iPad mini 1 to iOS 12?

My iPad mini 1 can't update to the latest iOS 12, which causes can't install any new apps on it. Is there any way to update it to iOS12?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    That's how apple gets you to buy more over-priced junk. And unfortunately more companies are following suit. When the economy is driven by consumption, rather than production, companies need you to replace everything on a regular basis. Greed at its best.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Support for the iPad Mini was dropped when iOS 10 was released, so you won't find any updates for it. If it's any consolation, Android isn't much better in this regard, even if in theory it can and should be.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    What you said makes sense. The truth is to let people buy new one to replace the old one.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Support for the iPad Mini was dropped when iOS 10 was released, so you won't find any updates for it. If it's any consolation, Android isn't much better in this regard, even if in theory it can and should be.
    And that is why my HTC One m8 runs Oreo fine thanks to custom roms (Resurrection-Remix), I should in theory still be marshmallowing. Could try Pie if I wanted to risk latest LineageOS but I`m not that cutting edge.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Let me preface this post with I despise Apple and all of their products, their cult following (not cult-like, CULT), their ridiculous pricing scheme, their labor and trade and tax issues, intentionally slowing products via updates, and their smug but vacuous consumer-base. That said...

The first-generation iPad Mini (stylized and marketed as iPad mini) is a mini tablet computer designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc. It was announced on October 23, 2012
    There's a difference between 'forced' obsolescence and *actual* obsolescence. 6.5-7 years is a looong time for an electronics device. Treat yourselves every half-decade and go get something shiny, lightweight, modern, and that runs the latest apps.

Ideally, we wouldn't be filling up landfills, but finding ways to let 3rd-worlders have them as learning tools. This discussion (so far) has not been about this, but basically hoarding.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Please someone, build a wall to protect me from weaponized white Trumpists.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hasson...tion-1.5027591

Fact: Almost every mass or serial killing in the US is perpetated by unmarried white males who are US citizens but the White insert irony House, the Republican Party and Fox News downplay or don't mention this for fear of alienating their base.

At some point you really need to ask yourself if your increasingly tenuous hold on power and a bit more money that you don't even at this point need is really worth all the bad you are doing.

You fucktards are just really fortunate that there isn't any true justice in the world.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    The symptoms have long been here, Trump and his supporters and co-conspirators are simply the latest outbreak of infection.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    And that is why my HTC One m8 runs Oreo fine thanks to custom roms (Resurrection-Remix), I should in theory still be marshmallowing. Could try Pie if I wanted to risk latest LineageOS but I`m not that cutting edge.
    In my experience at least, that's the exception and not the rule. If your device is not "popular" (e.g. most Mediatek, Wondermedia), you're stuck with what the manufacturer offers and maybe a few custom ROMs based on that. Major version updates like Marshmallow to Nougat are inexistent in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    There's a difference between 'forced' obsolescence and *actual* obsolescence. 6.5-7 years is a looong time for an electronics device.
    I had my desktop computer for 15 years before giving it away last month, they just don't make them like that anymore

+1 on the "fuck Apple", though
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."