Page 56 of 93 FirstFirst ... 6465354555657585966 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff I watched recently...

Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Sunday Movie Day... "The One And Only Ivan" (2020) Great Disney film for all ages! (Based on true story also.)

Subtitle Monday... "Cut Out" will get you by the booboo if you read fast! Luved it!

(I wonder if I can be a pathologist when I grow up...)

"Spunik" was decent scifi, but ended poorly IMHO.
    Last edited by Stehle; 08-24-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Movies & TV   -   #552
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    ^^ Or you could watch "Cut Out" on audio track #2. No reading required.

Spent the weekend with a bunch of classics. The Italian Job (1969) (one of the few times where the remake is better); Bullitt (1969) (can't go wrong with Steve McQueen), Coogan's Bluff (1968) (remembered/expected more from that movie) and The Magnificent Seven (1960).

Comfort food, I guess.

3. Movies & TV   -   #553
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post

Spent the weekend with a bunch of classics. The Italian Job (1969) (one of the few times where the remake is better); Bullitt (1969) (can't go wrong with Steve McQueen), Coogan's Bluff (1968) (remembered/expected more from that movie) and The Magnificent Seven (1960).

Comfort food, I guess .
    Been a long time since I've seen either version of The Italian Job but I do remember liking the first and not the second.
    I don't think there is a bad McQueen movie( OK maybe the Towering Inferno). They're not all up to the level of The Great Escape or Papillon but even Tom Horn isn't terrible. For something similar The Seven Ups is pretty good. Same producer also did The French Connection.All three contain big car chase scenes. Other decent movies with big car chases To Live and Die in L.A ( William effing Peterson) and Ronin. Actually To Live and Die in L.A is probably the best car chase I've ever seen is you discount the slow car chase from Way of the Gun's awesome quirkiness.

Coogan's Bluff sucketh. Way too measured in it's pacing and two parts just don't work together. For Eastwood I'd try The Eiger Sanction. Not great but has great parts. I want to say Where Eagles Dare because it's just so much freaking fun but I hate repeating myself.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 08-25-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #554
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Coogan's Bluff sucketh...
    In so many ways! Picture a young lady friend on the island of Nassau, we both had berths on the docked S.S. Rotterdamn. "Wanna seyuh movie?"... "Sure" {pops bubble gum}

(Found out what darkened balconies were really for... Ahh sweet memories... the Summer of '69...)

We both had seen the film first run.

@Cab... Just found it now in a audio sub-menu as my Ex wanted to watch it after I posted this. Worth it! Thanks again !
    Last edited by Stehle; 08-25-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Sweet Memories.

5. Movies & TV   -   #555
    My roommate, first year of university was from Nassau. Closest I've ever been to the Bahamas, I'm afraid. He use to regale me with tales of sharks and barracudas (sharks - cool, barracudas - flee for your life) and how his Aunt owned the house where they filmed part of Thunderball. The house apparently was the only one with both a fresh and a saltwater pool that they needed for the movie. He also smoked a lot of the ganja as he called it.

6. Movies & TV   -   #556
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    ...He also smoked a lot of the ganja as he called it.
    "I saw trash cans full of it... couldn't figure a way to get any on board the ship back then."

(More misspent youth shite... I really don't care for it a whole bunch now.)

Btw... select quick scenes from The One And Only Ivan (Mall) etc., Edward Scissorhands (Mall), The Natural (Robert Redford) (stadium), and others were filmed 8 to 10 or so miles from the farm.
    Last edited by Stehle; 08-25-2020 at 05:50 PM.

7. Movies & TV   -   #557
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post
    Ahh sweet memories... the Summer of '69...)
    Sounds like fun! What year was that, btw?
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Movies & TV   -   #558
    I just read that Sean Connery turned 90 today. They grow up so fast.

9. Movies & TV   -   #559
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    I just read that Sean Connery turned 90 today. They grow up so fast.
    To celebrate I just watched The Wind and the Lion (1975).

10. Movies & TV   -   #560
    One of my favourite scenes from one of my favourite movies. Give me a young Michael Caine over pretty much any other actor but Connery outdoes him here.