Thread: Sony To Unveil Playstation2 In China

BEIJING (Reuters) - Sony Corp. will launch its popular PlayStation 2 game console in China next month, saying Friday it must be "courageous" in the face of rampant piracy that has plagued the vast potential market.

The machine, which debuted in Japan in early 2000 and in the United States later that year, will hit Chinese shelves December 20 with a price tag of 1,988 yuan ($240). That compares with $179 in the United States.

"We have to realize the reality, that piracy cannot be controlled 100 percent, not only in China but also in other parts of the world," Sony China Chairman Hiroshi Shoda told reporters in an upscale Beijing cinema. "We have to be courageous, to face the reality." He declined to give sales projections.

Sony has sold 62 million PlayStation 2 (PS2) consoles worldwide, and is heading into the holiday season hoping to cut costs and squeeze more profits out of the market-leading machine.

PlayStation is crucial to the Japanese electronics titan's bottom line. Last year, the games division accounted for just 13 percent of sales, but nearly two-thirds of operating profits.

Sony will initially sell the console in five Chinese cities -- Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Chengdu, home to nearly 40 million people. More cities will follow.

Only two or three games will be available at launch, priced at 168 yuan, or around $20, each, well below U.S. retail prices of $50 but above the dollar or two that pirated titles fetch on Chinese streets.
    Full Story

2. Games   -   #2
    i wonder how thats gonna go, they'll probably come up with a lot of mod chip type things to start bootlegging more games. But then again, you gotta make a living sumhow
    -TiMz

3. Games   -   #3
    Nintendo, now sony... i guess the reason they are choosing to start now is because the consoles are reaching past the halfway point of their lives, as the chinese will probably still be with the ps2 when the ps3 is ending

4. Games   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by tHe LiNk@29 November 2003 - 01:38
    Nintendo, now sony... i guess the reason they are choosing to start now is because the consoles are reaching past the halfway point of their lives, as the chinese will probably still be with the ps2 when the ps3 is ending
    seein that china is the bootleg capital of the world, they must have PS2 for a while now, they'll problably be gettin the PS3 before we do.

proud to be american

5. Games   -   #5
    Sorry, should have made that more clear. I was referring to official releases.