Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you found Red Dead Redemption 2 a bit disappointing?

OlegL's Avatar Poster
    I liked the fact that this game accurately portrayed the racial attitudes of the people of the Old West. Native Americans and blacks (and some of them had a mixed racial makeup) were sympathetic characters. In this sense, the second RDR game was better than the first one. However, overall, the game was a bit of a disappointment. I won't mention any spoilers, but I'll just say that this game lacked something... it just lacked something...
    I love FST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Games   -   #2
    I felt the same way, after playing GTAV there seems to be something missing from the game...maybe its the slow pacing.

3. Games   -   #3
    No me it has its own story and many hidden objects inside each level so complete the story and then decide

4. Games   -   #4
    Not surprised, given Rockstar's greed, and microtransaction riddled games since GTAV. Most of the resources will be towards online, rather than single player

5. Games   -   #5
    I think I was expecting too much from the build up. The first one was surprisingly good, and then a long wait for the 2nd.

6. Games   -   #6
    I don't play much, but I did try this game for a day.

7. Games   -   #7
    Haven't played it yet, and almost expect to play the first on a PC emulator before 2 arrives (the downside of being PC only). But I think from the vids I've seen Rockstar was on a bit of a hiding to nowhere with this one. Most of us have a western film style we love (mine is the Leone classics of the late 60s). But what you do in a linear 2 hour movie is a long way from an open world game of hundreds of hours.

The vicarious life of a cowboy on screen is a long way from being forced to live the 'real' thing. Horses and fields and farms and primitive American life at the end of the 19th Century. With the second game, Rockstar really 'zoomed in' on the actual history. Like that 'catalogue' you browse to choose upgrades- with period accurate illustrations. All kind of interesting at a glance, but long term?

And of course, just like CDPR, Rockstar can't do good arcade combat to save their lives. The shooty is not going to sell the game.

I've only seen gameplay vids (and avoided too many spoilers) but it seemed like Rockstar played it too safe and generic, and went for period detail that a lot of Hollywood FLOP westerns tried in the late 1960s thru to when the genre died in the cinema in the 70s.

There is a very interesting political truth about the move 'west' in US history, and the civilising of the 'wild west'- but does that make for an interesting open world game? Sergio Leone and his writers, musical expert, and set/costume people created a highly pleasing fantasy only partially based on reality. The boring stuff is kept out of the 5 Leone classics.

I think Rockstar went in the wrong conceptual direction- and then added a dreadful online shooty mode for maxing microtransaction earning (which clearly bombed). If RDR2 had been kept as a dark Leone style fantasy, I think it would have been better received.

8. Games   -   #8
    i'm not into western themes so i didn't like it that much. i did give it a shot though, tying to see through the western theme, but sadly no

9. Games   -   #9
    Poster
    Yeah, I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road
    I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
    but nope never played the game

10. Games   -   #10
    I can't wait for it to be on steam, am really hoping I don't hate it. Am not interested in a rockstar launcher or epic copy, I have too many games on steam now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast