Thread: Cd Rom + Cd Writer + Dvd Burner = All In One Pc?

Ok i need some help. Heres the situation:

I currently have a CD-Rom and a CD Writer (both 52X stealth drives), and I'm in the need to add a DVD Burner. Now i want to do keep my exsisting drives and still add the DVD Burner along with them, but what i need to know is... is it possible?

and if it is possible, would i need anything extra to get all 3 to work togeather?

I'm hoping to just get a DVD Burner that plays DVD's and writes DVD+/- R and RW's, nothing more.

BTW: What is the difference between DVD-R / DVD+R ??

Any help is appriciated. Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Sure it's possible.

One of your optical drives will have to be slaved off the cable to your HDD.

How do you plan on getting all three to "work together"?

This setup is absurdly redundant.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You don't need all 3. The DVD burner works as a CD burner as well.

The best is to have a DVD burner and a DVD player so that you can do DVD to DVD copies without disc swapping. It also works for CD to CD copying.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=difference+b...F-8&hl=en&meta=

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by clocker@26 November 2003 - 16:03
    One of your optical drives will have to be slaved off the cable to your HDD.
    not a good idea.

if the motherboard has enough IDE connectors, put one of the CD/DVD drives on its own cable-- but don't put it on the same cable as a hard drive because it'll drop the hard drive to 33mb/sec (most hard drives are 66 or 100). IDE requires all drives on a single cable to run at the same speed. gotta keep the hard drives and CD/DVD-roms separate, unless you want the computer to run like a lemon.

if you don't have a spare IDE connector and you're dead set on using all of those CD/DVD-roms, buy a PCI IDE card for about $20. Windows has no problem recognizing and using a fairly large number of drives... but like clocker said, that setup just seems like overkill-- i can see why you might wanna keep one of the CD-roms to save your DVD writer from wear & tear, but do you really need all three?

regarding DVD-R vs DVD+R-- they are merely two different standards of recordable DVDs-- most drive brands originally used one or the other, but nowadays a lot of them support both. the rule of thumb is basically that DVD+R is better for data storage with PCs, and DVD-R is better for making video discs to play on stand-alone players (because a higher percentage of players are compatible with DVD-R, than with DVD+R). your player may be able to play video from DVD+R, though. if you have any doubts, you can search for compatibility info about your DVD player at DVDRHELP.COM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks. It does seem more complicated having all 3, so i'll probably ditch the cd-rom and get my self a dual format DVD/CD burner and just replace it.

Thanks guys.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by sage0112@26 November 2003 - 19:55
    Thanks. It does seem more complicated having all 3, so i'll probably ditch the cd-rom and get my self a dual format DVD/CD burner and just replace it.

send the cd-rom my way if you wish, I need a fast one.....

Or I suppose you could always just sell it to someone for some actual money.......