Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best / Most Useful Extensions For FireFox

FireFox was acting crazy lately, so I did a refresh after a bunch of crashes. Now I have a blank slate to work with. Trying to figure out which extensions and add-ons would be the best to install.

Right now I only have uBlock Origin.

Any suggestions?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Ghostery

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Ghostery
    Hey Cabby Does it work better than Adblock Plus??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Lose the local blockers and do piHole (just google). It is worth it as long as your router can take an alternative DNS server.... OpenWRT ideal but sure many other brand routers support it.

You are then covered regardless of browser or device

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    Lose the local blockers and do piHole (just google). It is worth it as long as your router can take an alternative DNS server.... OpenWRT ideal but sure many other brand routers support it.

I am sending a reply Gribley before i try your suggestion, i don't use any of those VPN's or other stuff, and my modem/router is one from my ISP. no boosters or nothing..
    Will your app still work?? And i use Firefox even know as MacGyver has also said has been a bit quirky lately, but i am not fond of Chrome, that is for the young people to use

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    As long as you can chose your DNS server (which will now be on your local network) then yes. Run a the little Pi where you want

For you I can setup an image of my running one (there is nothing specific to me in it anyway except root passwd, I will send you my web server separate = again another Pi ). If your router supports it (DNS thing I mentioned) then just grab an original Pi MK1 (but second addition as the extra 256Mb helps)..... should set you back about $5 and another $5 for a 8Gb MicroSD card. You`ll love it if you want to try.
    Last edited by Gribley; 05-23-2019 at 04:30 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    As long as you can chose your DNS server (which will now be on your local network) then yes. Run a the little Pi where you want
    Ok i am still not getting it, but i think we are talking about different reasons for an add blocker, i am not trying to isolate something buddy, i am just looking for something that blocks unnecessary pop ups or add on links?? Thinking that is what ADblocker's purpose is really needed for??

EG. I have it on all my PC's/Laptops's that access and are used just for surfing the net/websites, not any other reason?? I will read up on what you suggested and see if that is what i am looking for or will better up ADblocker's uses without changing or modifying anything that can fuck up my kids access with there laptops..As for my mock server, it is just internal, and never sees the internet or i don't give it access, i manually move things i download to it for screening/watching throughout the house.....

If that makes sense, and thank your for the help/suggestion
    Shay

PS. I should add it is nice as always to hear from you buddy, alive and kicking is always a good thing
    Last edited by shaina; 05-23-2019 at 04:49 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8

I am using an ASUS RT-AC86U. I'm still using stock firmware, but I plan on installing an Asuswrt-Merlin firmware soon.

But, my post is about extensions for Firefox. I also don't like Chrome (like shaina). I find it buggier than FireFox. I will use Chrome when FireFox has too many problems with a website.
    Last edited by MacGyverSG1; 05-23-2019 at 11:39 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I did go off topic I know. It was never a question about ad blockers but I road that train I've no probs sending (well pm to private link) you a pihole image if you want to just try it

I actually like chrome but hey we all remember netscape navigator as well so our time is surely up soon. Oh the memories of using Base64 and uudecode for my newsgroup pleasures.......

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    I did go off topic I know. It was never a question about ad blockers but I road that train I've no probs sending (well pm to private link) you a pihole image if you want to just try it

I actually like chrome but hey we all remember netscape navigator as well so our time is surely up soon. Oh the memories of using Base64 and uudecode for my newsgroup pleasures.......
    Well the start of my comment was to Cabby about Ghostery which is a blocker type program , but i will say it is always nice to see you Gribley and your great contributions to try to make my life easier for all of us here

You lost me at navigator buddy , really my kids say without a doubt that Chrome is much more stable than Firefox, and really it seems that every major update on Firefox it is looking more and more of a copy of Chrome.. And what is even more a hostage!!!, knowing most of the cable and satellite providers are mimicking ITV , and offering multiple connections without the stupidity of having to use a cable box!!! especially on flat screens that have built in tuners that have zero use, and more use of remotes
    Anyways back to my point, Rogers my cable provider and ISP forces you to use Chrome to access there ITV (which they call ignite)!!, Why i have no idea,so i still have to install Chrome on any PC/Laptop that i am going to use to view live tv that i pay for!!!..

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast