Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best / Most Useful Extensions For FireFox

Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Are you telling me you are still using XP
    No, but every now and then I get customers with very old computers that want a format and reinstall, and XP is the only option for those.

By the way, Windows 7 was the last sane system Microsoft produced, so welcome to the club
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Are you telling me you are still using XP
    No, but every now and then I get customers with very old computers that want a format and reinstall, and XP is the only option for those.

By the way, Windows 7 was the last sane system Microsoft produced, so welcome to the club
    Actually i have done/cleaned up some vintage pc's/laptops for friends and i am talking dinosaur machines, and i did put windows 7 on them. Yes the difficulty was finding the right drivers and stuff, but most of them i used XP drivers or Vista drivers, and seemed to get a clean Device Manager (meaning zero conflicts or caution marks). And at least now they could get updates and stuff, and really i didn't notice any slowdowns.....

Just sayin

I am very happy with Windows 7 easy and i am not a big PC gamer or nothing so internet surfing, Usenet, and really that is about it.......

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Windows 10 is finally starting to come along. I play around with it on an old PC. I might make the switch with my main PC in the next 6-12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    Going to check out Pale Moon.
    For addons, see https://addons.palemoon.org/ and https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/index.html. https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/ will let you install those that don't recognize the browser's ID but are otherwise 100% compatible.

I barely know what the "real" Firefox is like anymore. They lost me when they started turning the interface into a Chrome clone, and post-2017 versions were the final nail on the coffin; for the sake of rendering speed (which was always a bit behind Chrome's, mind you), they sacrificed everything else that made it worth using.

Also, the Windows XP port of Pale Moon is the only modern browser that works on that operating system and receives regular updates.
    Thanks, I'll check those out. srrDB extension stopped working with the latest FireFox update. Hope to get that working again.
    Last edited by MacGyverSG1; 05-27-2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Actually i have done/cleaned up some vintage pc's/laptops for friends and i am talking dinosaur machines, and i did put windows 7 on them. Yes the difficulty was finding the right drivers and stuff, but most of them i used XP drivers or Vista drivers, and seemed to get a clean Device Manager (meaning zero conflicts or caution marks). And at least now they could get updates and stuff, and really i didn't notice any slowdowns.....
    Our definition of a dinosaur machine may differ

https://www.driveridentifier.com/

This program helps a great deal with "impossible" drivers. It sometimes even finds versions that are newer than what's listed on the manufacturer's page and/or have been deleted from it.

Windows 10 is finally starting to come along. I play around with it on an old PC. I might make the switch with my main PC in the next 6-12 months.
    https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html
    https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index...alk:Windows_10

If you don't mind this, go for it

Thanks, I'll check those out. srrDB extension stopped working with the latest FireFox update. Hope to get that working again.
    Chances are you will. The vast majority of old-style (XUL and Jetpack) extensions continue to work on Pale Moon and that's one of its strong points.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Our definition of a dinosaur machine may differ .
    Attachment 182488

Thanks for the Link Anon, Bookmarked and will check it out, and i assume it is safe

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Our definition of a dinosaur machine may differ

https://www.driveridentifier.com/

This program helps a great deal with "impossible" drivers. It sometimes even finds versions that are newer than what's listed on the manufacturer's page and/or have been deleted from it.

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html
    https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index...alk:Windows_10

If you don't mind this, go for it

Chances are you will. The vast majority of old-style (XUL and Jetpack) extensions continue to work on Pale Moon and that's one of its strong points.
    Windows 10 is much better now than when it first came out. Some of the reasons why it "sucks" no longer exist or have changed for the better. It's not perfect, but unfortunately Windows 7 is getting long in the tooth. Win 7 still gets everything done that I need/want, but the biggest issue with Win 10 is the spying and Win 7 has that now. There are ways to disable most of the spying in Win 10 (not sure about Win 7).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Windows 10 is much better now than when it first came out. Some of the reasons why it "sucks" no longer exist or have changed for the better. It's not perfect, but unfortunately Windows 7 is getting long in the tooth. Win 7 still gets everything done that I need/want, but the biggest issue with Win 10 is the spying and Win 7 has that now. There are ways to disable most of the spying in Win 10 (not sure about Win 7).
    Windows 7 spying?? For shits and giggles. Knowing you are kind of a conspiracy theorist MacGyver...

What spying is there on Windows 7 that are even close to Windows 10??

And even if you use linux of any name, you could say there is spying on that as well, but not your everyday use like Win 10??

The same with using a anti virus?? Of course they are getting information/feedback on a licensed software that actually you never own you are just borrowing and making life easier to use the Internet or software programs??, Even Firefox is spying on you if you look at it that way??

But Windows 10 is known to monitor everything that you are doing and it is very difficult to block it the way they designed the software.. Example...
    Xbox X or Xbox 360 operating system is now based on Windows 10, and they can communicate with a PC , did you ever read the signup agreement in full when you us Xbox Live??. They are constantly monitoring all the system for anomalies, and other things, and they can do it any time they want, as long as a PC or Microsoft products are connected to the Internet!!!
    But Wn 7 vs Win 10, and how the operating system relies more on the internet?? Win 7 has always been less thinking there is less connection to any Microsoft servers??
    So my thinking?? Where is the spying on Win 7 vs Win 10 ever be close??

Just sayin and my opinion MacGyver

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I believe in facts.

But, Win 7 does have telemetry stuff that was added after Win 10 was released. Obviously Win 10 has features that Win 7 doesn't that allows collection of different data. Win 10 can be made less intrusive, though. I'll still use Win 7 until it doesn't serve my needs anymore.

I haven't owned a game console since NES.

BTW, I'm using Win 10 Enterprise on my test rig, which is probably comparable to Win 7 with the spying, "data collection".

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    shaina's Avatar Poster

But, Win 7 does have telemetry stuff that was added after Win 10 was released. Obviously Win 10 has features that Win 7 doesn't that allows collection of different data. Win 10 can be made less intrusive, though. I'll still use Win 7 until it doesn't serve my needs anymore.
    BTW, I'm using Win 10 Enterprise on my test rig, which is probably comparable to Win 7 with the spying, "data collection".
    I was just kidding with the conspiracy stuff MacGyver , but facts are in the eyes of the which web site you want to believe today, that's all...

The reason you started to see a ton of updates for Win 7 they were trying to push everyone to update, that has stopped a long time ago, Telemetry?? That is way above my pay grade MacGyver... You have a bunch of young people that are not big hackers or pirate's, that love windows 10 for ease of use, especially if they have touch screen pc's/laptops, again not available on windows 7, and we all know that the original platform of win 10 was to flood the market with there operating system with tablets, then they had to make drastic adjustments and updates to correct it for just normal use of a standard PC/Laptop...
    You do not or never will even own your copy of any Windows operating system even if you did pay for it!!! It is borrowed/rented to make your life easier, hens i would think using the spying word on how you use the system to make it better in the future, plus to send updates if someone is trying to fuck with it and have more 3rd party spying or easy access to your data... Again if you read the fine print on the operating system?? They have the right to do what the fuck they want!!, and now you try to put other software on there to block that..
    Now saying all of that... It is fact not fiction or a conspiracy theory that windows 10 was designed to give Microsoft easy access to all the machines out there!!, and the same from XP to windows 7, so saying that!!, being windows 7 has been out a lot longer that 10, and 7 has way more 3rd party programs to manipulate code to block Microsoft and what they see, i have no doubt we will go through this conversation again once the new operating system comes out , the same as new game consoles that come out and sooner or later that code is broken and hacked, and usually NES systems were the easiest to do that, go figure

Again some facts and some of my opinions...

PS. And just because you don't own a new console or video game, knowing that everyone is on the bandwagon if they do have multiple platforms out there that they want them to communicate and be able to as they say "'Smart Home" everything, that is the future. Even now Cable and Satellite providers are now offering some sort of ITV, or WIFI boxes/Terminals that every home/dwelling will be forced to use or have the internet. I remember the days that you made buddies with one of the cable guys and slipped him a few bucks and he use to take the govern er(resister) off in the box outside your house so you would get full open cable for the cheaper price, now everything is controlled through a cable setup box, and if you don't have one you ain't getting cable period!!! They know and control your access!!, now it is your choice if you want it or not right, but your provider has control and now reduces piracy Ask yourself?? Do you think you could survive without a cell phone or internet today?? Do you think the younger generation could?? Talk about poor people!!, Why is it that they will say to have one meal a day but pay and have internet or a cell phone??

Again Just sayin MacGyver
    Last edited by shaina; 05-31-2019 at 02:25 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30

I was just kidding with the conspiracy stuff MacGyver , but facts are in the eyes of the which web site you want to believe today, that's all...
    I don't trust any website. Not a place to get your "news" from.

PS. And just because you don't own a new console or video game, knowing that everyone is on the bandwagon if they do have multiple platforms out there that they want them to communicate and be able to as they say "'Smart Home" everything, that is the future. Even now Cable and Satellite providers are now offering some sort of ITV, or WIFI boxes/Terminals that every home/dwelling will be forced to use or have the internet. I remember the days that you made buddies with one of the cable guys and slipped him a few bucks and he use to take the govern er(resister) off in the box outside your house so you would get full open cable for the cheaper price, now everything is controlled through a cable setup box, and if you don't have one you ain't getting cable period!!! They know and control your access!!, now it is your choice if you want it or not right, but your provider has control and now reduces piracy Ask yourself?? Do you think you could survive without a cell phone or internet today?? Do you think the younger generation could?? Talk about poor people!!, Why is it that they will say to have one meal a day but pay and have internet or a cell phone??
    In the old days of cableTV (in my area anyway) there was no "governor" on the line going into the home. All channels were being sent out. You needed a cable box (Jerrold Texas Instruments box with fake wood grain) to read the signal to view channels. Depending on which plan you paid for determined how many channels you could view. You could buy a used Jerrold box (probably NOT legal) and use it to get basic cable without needing to pay cable company. Or you could buy a converter box (legal to own, and could buy at Radio Shack) and a "black box" descrabler (NOT legal to own, and usually bought by mail order or out of the back of a van). The cable company would not know what was going on.

Then the cable companies changed over to an IP based system. Every TV needs a box that has a MAC address that is registered to a subscribers account and is activated to view channels. Now all channels are scrambled. Unfortunately the end of "black boxes". If you could create a device to descramble the signal coming in and then clone the MAC address of an existing cable box working in your home; that might work. Not very practical though.

I survive without a cellphone. I use MagicJack at home for telephone. I could survive without the Internet also, but then I would have to go back to a regular land-line phone and buying/renting movies (bring back Blockbuster!!!). An HD antenna hooked up to my TV would be fine.

People these days have backwards priorities created by corporations. Lying to the public to get them to do what you want. A page taken from religions and politicians.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast