Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Usenet Providers

I've been using GN forever and the VPN thrown in is nice but it seems like the retention for many groups isn't making it past a couple hundred days and of course they take down pretty rapidly. I used to use Tweaknews for fills but it seems like takedowns are more common with them as well. I'd like to find something that is beyond DMCA reach. :-\

2. Newsgroups   -   #52
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Quote Originally Posted by bramor View Post
    .... something that is beyond DMCA reach. :-\
    Popularity has been our downfall. Still my torrent box handles the alternatives just so much slower than a good NNTP grab.

3. Newsgroups   -   #53
    Yeah, I may have to just spring for a seedbox to get more seriously into torrents. ATM I'm just using a couple private trackers for very specific types of software but I'd like to be able to use/seed public trackers more. Still, Usenet has always been a great resource because of the retention. I've even thought about 'archiving' things on Usenet in case I need to grab them later.

4. Newsgroups   -   #54
    I'd like to find something that is beyond DMCA reach. :-\
    I'm suddenly remembering when TPB entertained the idea of running a tracker on international waters and even outer space, as well as their attempt to buy Sealand (which didn't work). Any of those would have been cool, but the connectivity would have to be provided by a "real" country at some point, so.

I've even thought about 'archiving' things on Usenet in case I need to grab them later.
    That's a fairly good idea (as long as you encrypt and obfuscate personal data, you'll be sharing it with the entire world after all), but remember, any sort of remote backup should complement local copies, never replace them

Also worth considering: name your backup "windows_10_source_code.zip" and put it on an open FTP server, people will then mirror it for you.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Newsgroups   -   #55
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    That's a fairly good idea (as long as you encrypt and obfuscate personal data, you'll be sharing it with the entire world after all), but remember, any sort of remote backup should complement local copies, never replace them
    Most definitely. Triple-DES wrapped inside RSA wrapped inside ROT-13 wrapped inside a tar wrapped inside a zip wrapped inside a rar.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Also worth considering: name your backup "windows_10_source_code.zip" and put it on an open FTP server, people will then mirror it for you.

6. Newsgroups   -   #56
    Most definitely. Triple-DES wrapped inside RSA wrapped inside ROT-13 wrapped inside a tar wrapped inside a zip wrapped inside a rar.
    No RC4 in there, I'm disappointed
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. Newsgroups   -   #57
    Newshosting been it for me, just signed up ages ago and have not bothered to check out any others.

8. Newsgroups   -   #58
    been using frugal usenet for a couple of years - price is competitive and completion is good

9. Newsgroups   -   #59
    Supernews retention went to crap lately, got an offer for $20 a year for usenetserver I couldn't pass up. But this is my second time on usenetserver and I had to dump them before in the past when completion percentage went to 1%, every binary file incomplete.

10. Newsgroups   -   #60
    eweka.nl is pretty good.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast