Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Usenet Providers

Curious which Usenet Providers FST members are using.

I was using AstraWeb and Usenetserver for years. As some know, AstraWeb stopped accepting PayPal. That ended my relationship with them, but their service is not what it used to be anyway. Looking for another provider that can give access to files that Usenetserver doesn't.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Still happy with Easynews.

Stay away from Giganews.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I still use free-but-capped-or-throttled Usenet providers. Which partly explains why I whine when SD versions (or HEVC of 720p which uses similar bandwidth) of TV shows are not available.
    Am I a cheapskate? Yes. Is miserliness the only reason for using such services? No.
    news.free-usenet.com (needs to be renewed after 3 hours, about 1GB)
    free.xsusenet.com (free version does not support SSL, so for use only with hmm, uncontentious files).
    My cable company / ISP used to provide a very useful Usenet facility. Those were the days!

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post

Stay away from Giganews.
    Yeah, I parted with Giganews years ago. I'll have to check out Easynews.

Thanks

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post

Stay away from Giganews.
    In my opinion it is not good to post any good quality Usenet provider on any open forum, that's when they become shitty ones ....

Sending someone a quick PM is just as easy right Cabby

Funny Giganews is a veteran in the game and is by far the fastest and most reliable out of any Usenet provider out there!! And the advertisement on all these types of forums killed it, they were the first targeted for Takedowns/DMCA.. And think about it Cabby, do you really think they were ever going to jeopardize there true customers ?? Banks, Governments, and who knows else?? Guys like us were peanuts compared to them....
    But i will say there service was the best for sure!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg987 View Post
    I still use free-but-capped-or-throttled Usenet providers. Which partly explains why I whine when SD versions (or HEVC of 720p which uses similar bandwidth) of TV shows are not available.
    Am I a cheapskate? Yes. Is miserliness the only reason for using such services? No.
    news.free-usenet.com (needs to be renewed after 3 hours, about 1GB)
    free.xsusenet.com (free version does not support SSL, so for use only with hmm, uncontentious files).
    My cable company / ISP used to provide a very useful Usenet facility. Those were the days!
    I can tell you Gregg that 99.9% of the tv shows are uploaded/encoded in a Binary group in sd versions, and since you do save big time on a Usenet provider, you could splurge and join a private NZB site for peanuts a year?? That is, and really the crew here in the NZB section are great and do an amazing job to get pretty much all the formats of the TV shows

Do you have a preference on a format?? SD version .avi/.mp4/.mkv?? Sound ac3/aac/mp3?? Was there something you were looking for??
    Last edited by shaina; 06-07-2019 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I still use free-but-capped-or-throttled Usenet providers.
    Same, but then again I only use newsgroups as a backup. Free-Usenet.com was the bomb when it had no captcha and you didn't have to renew it daily Still, it's a free service and works really well (or at least it did last time I used it), so zero complaints.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    ... the crew here in the NZB section are great and do an amazing ...
    Agreed ! It's a fabulous community, to get so much help from people whom one probably never will get a chance to thank personally. Muchissimas gracias.

I have been a squeaky wheel and am hesitant to start publishing want lists. Availability can be time-sensitive as well. Who wants to debug that? Nobody. I hope to see, to continue to see, NZBs pointing to compact versions of British, Australian, NZ, Irish, and Canadian TV progs--as they largely are already. I could hardly expect better even if I were paying colleagues to do it!

Muchissimas gracias.
    If you want a quick explanation in Spanish of why the above contains at least two spelling errors:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giDXTHOxWuQ

The joke is on me.
    Last edited by Gregg987; 06-07-2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    In my opinion it is not good to post any good quality Usenet provider on any open forum, that's when they become shitty ones ....
    True, but EN is one of the bigger and better-known ones already, so it's not like I am telling a secret...

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Giganews is the worst provider in 2019, worst retention, worst completion, worst price. ban you for uploading anything. Anyone using giganews should be checked into a hospital ASAP.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Piggy-backing on this thread... Is it just me or has the propagation of NZBs/files gone to shit this past weekend, if not even in the days before? Can't find half the stuff I see on P2P in the newsgroups, and what I find is very slow and mostly doesn't cover all the versions (SD/HD/etc).

City on a Hill s01e02 or Deep State s02e08 is still not available, for example, and I can't find SD releases as much as I used to...

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast