Thread: Grrrrrr,i Think My Cpu Is Fried.

Poster
    Well,I decided to strip down my system today and star cleaning up the wiring and straightening everything away.While doing so I figured I would add the temperature sensor that came with my Volcanoe 9 heatsink and fan.Big mistake,first boot with it on the thing acted up and hasn't booted since. This really sucks. I guess I gotta put some of my other projects on the back burner till the new year so i can pick up a new CPU.
    Is it true that AMD won't warranty their retail CPU's unless you are using the original heatsink and fan? If not then I think I'll try to get a new one from them.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    open it up and remove anything u put in before tempature thing.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by johnboy27@26 November 2003 - 22:28
    Is it true that AMD won't warranty their retail CPU's unless you are using the original heatsink and fan? If not then I think I'll try to get a new one from them.
    Its true; warranty is void, if you’re not using the stock hsf.
    But hey, they don't know what you were using, so if you warranty isn't up, return it anyway, If they ask, just say you were using stock.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Make sure all your components are fully seated, when I installed my Volcano 11+
    my sys would not start, turned out to be one memory dimm was not fully seated.
    I must have brushed against it since I did not have to remove it to install the Vol 11+

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What made you decide that it was the CPU that's faulty?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@26 November 2003 - 23:12

Its true; warranty is void, if you’re not using the stock hsf.
    But hey, they don't know what you were using, so if you warranty isn't up, return it anyway, If they ask, just say you were using stock.
    Agreed, that warranty clause about OEM heatsinks is kinda just to cover their asses, if people really went by that then no one would really be buying as many after market HS/fans.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@27 November 2003 - 06:35
    What made you decide that it was the CPU that's faulty?
    The reason I think the CPU is faulty is because after changing things around and rebooting the fan started spinning normally and then about 10 seconds after post it jumped right up to it's max speed(5500 rpm) as soon as this happened I shutdown and the bottm half of the heatsink was hot as hell. I took the CPU out and the it is slightly darker in color all around the die now and also the thermal paste was sortof dried up aorund the die also.
    I am pretty positive that it is the CPU that is fried.I tried reseating every card and I also tried taking everything out except the video card ,ram,harddrive and cpu and then boot and it still does nothing.No post beep or anything.
    I think I am just going to pick up a 1.4 gig duron until after christmas (they are only 60 bucks canadian) and then pick up another Athlon in the early spring.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    It certainly sounds like you fried your cpu.

And unfortunately, that's one of the things that ISN'T covered by warranty.

Where did you try to add this temp sensor? It is supposed to go on the bottom of the cpu, but I can't work out how the wires come out without raising the cpu at one side. If that's what you've done, it could be that the heatsink has not been properly in contact with the die.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.