Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Secure Torrenting

Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    ::shrugs:: I torrent without vpn, proxy, or anything in the USA for more years than I can count
    I suppose it depends on the site you use...
    I do not do this with public sites, or most sites, but I do with my primary site and have since joining it sometime around 2008?
    It also depends on what you download. If you grab the newest blockbuster movie or popular TV show or hit album, then there is a much greater risk of getting notified.

My brother got a letter from C0mcast a few years ago when he downloaded a single Eminem song. Not sure if Eminem pursues it, his management, or label.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    I used the SOCKS5 proxy that is available for my VPN for a year, I have not received a notice.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Good to know about the SOCKS5 proxy I will have to check it out.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Proxies only support TCP connections and make you unconnectable by design, so you'll have a harder time uploading. Keep that in mind.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    I got on the NordVPN bandwagon a few years ago and it has served me quite well. Before that I didn't use a vpn and was a sucker for public trackers, but when I found https://iknowwhatyoudownload.com I knew I had to make some changes because it's scary how accurate that info was.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post

My brother got a letter from C0mcast a few years ago when he downloaded a single Eminem song. Not sure if Eminem pursues it, his management, or label.
    A friend of mine downloaded Interstellar in Germany and he got fined 1300€. Then, he rewatched it in Austria with Popcorn Time. He got fined again, 1200€. A law firm handled the case. The complaint has been made by Warner Bros.
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Thanks for the socks info

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_789 View Post
    Ha ha, that's awesome! Note that the DHT activity they use as a basis for their results is not hard evidence of having actually downloaded or uploaded those torrents, but it does give an idea of what's going on and how easy it can be to build individual activity profiles.

Also, this sort of snooping has another, benign usage - DHT-based torrent search engines like DIGBT and BTDB.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Enlightened's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_789 View Post
    I got on the NordVPN bandwagon a few years ago and it has served me quite well. Before that I didn't use a vpn and was a sucker for public trackers, but when I found https://iknowwhatyoudownload.com I knew I had to make some changes because it's scary how accurate that info was.
    Not much they can do and keep tabs as long as they want,using a VPN or some kind of proxy or Seedbox, shields one from all that, as long as the VPN does not keep logs.

Just suicidal to play around with torrents without the layer of protection,eventhough VPN definitely slowwwwwwww.. down your speed

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened View Post

Just suicidal to play around with torrents without the layer of protection,eventhough VPN definitely slowwwwwwww.. down your speed
    Russian roulette baby
    But really, I'm fine. I don't recommend it for others though. CYA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast