Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldest member here?

This thread was at four pages before the recent server crash wiped out everything from the last week. From memory, Barbarossa answered the titular question, and Adster, DanB, lilmiss and Mathea had dropped by to say hello.

Wishing all the best for clocker here, every single post of his I've read indicated he was a top-notch fellow.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Mathea's Avatar The Blonde Alibi BT Rep: +5
    I'm sorry to hear about Clocker.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    All my best and respect to Clocker. He's the best of us-- certainly not much of a benchmark considering, but would be among the best even among non-criminals and Canadians.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I will pass wishes along to him and try to get him in here to post.

Sorry to hear we lost a bunch of postage - hope they all hit this thread again soon...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I am touched by yall's concerns and opinions but would like to remind you that all my health issues were brought on by my own devices (actually, vices) and I have no regrets.
    Ironically, after enthusiastically smoking (both weed and non-filtered cigarettes) for over 55 years, t'was an unrelated blood cell cancer that is trying to bring me low.
    There is no known cause and no known cure, so it's just a waiting game.
    Thankfully, there is no pain and the chemo is relatively benign, so whatever the endgame may be, I probably won't suffer.

I now have more time than ever to waste on the internet and since my physical condition has gone to hell- meaning I no longer work much on cars- my main hobby is cooking.
    I take a lot of steroids and my they amp up my appetite although ironically my weight has dropped to an all time low.

But enough of my curtailed and pathetic existence...it was a pleasure to hear from Kev (with whom I've maintained tenuous contact) and surprising to see that FST is still around.
    I still pirate material like a fiend although these days the process is so much easier (we all remember Kazaa, right?) and the choices so much more extensive that it's hard to compare the olden days to now.
    I used to live on this (and several other) forum but rarely (read: "never") visit them today.
    I was shocked that my auto log in was still functional...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Lounge   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ^^thar he blows...^^
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Heya clocker. Just wanted to send you some love. I’m sorry to hear about everything. Glad Kev got in touch and you came by (and glad I caught ya <3 )

You’re cooking lots? Any favorite recipes? (Bonus if they’re pressure cooker or slow cooker ones)
    Last edited by Mathea; 08-27-2019 at 03:06 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Thanks, I'm accepting all the love that comes my way.
    As far as recipes go...
    I've discovered that techniques are more important/interesting than recipes themselves.
    Sorry, but I haven't a slow cooker or a pressure unit, either.
    Sous vide is an interesting technique I've used for steaks and fish and that's kinda close.
    (You don't need all the equipment to get started- although it makes things a lot easier- just a digital thermometer, a way to boil water and some patience)

However, here are a few recipes I like (and pulled off successfully...)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYub2JxoDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bYP2NlAf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmt9rup6_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIErqYP8KNU&t=17s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppWes-LjFes

A few caveats:
    -All the steroids I take have not only amped up my appetite but totally screwed with my taste buds. Stuff I used to love is no longer appetizing at all and I tend to favor savory over sweet.
    -"Eating healthy" is no longer a concern. High cholesterol isn't what going to kill me, so I don't give a fuck. Bring on the butter, lard, panchetta...whatever. YMMV.
    -I've discovered that many Youtube videos just don't work as advertised or taste as "amazing" as billed. Follow the above recipes exactly, they work and taste great.

All that said, my absolute favorite food these days- one I make at least once a week- is grilled cheese sandwiches and Progresso tomato/basil soup.
    I mix up the cheese mixture- gruyere, cheddar and brie tastes great and melts well, but use whatever is on hand- and use brioche bread.
    The trick is low and slow heat. At first I was using too hot a pan and the bread was getting done long before the cheese melted. Use lots of butter (ghee works best) and low heat...it takes five or seven minutes per side.
    Once the cheese starts oozing, if the bread isn't as browned as you'd like, you can always up the heat to finish.
    It is the food of the gods.

If I got off track, sorry...but you did ask.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    I haven’t tried sous vide, but it looks intriguing (and intimidating). I’m definitely open to trying it.

And thanks for recipes, I’m always game to try something new (and my kiddo has an amazing palate so I try to encourage that as well)

I started making grilled cheese w mayo instead of butter, which sounded horrifying but is actually delicious.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Sous vide is stupid simple, be ye not scared. There are dozens of youtube vids that will acquaint you with the process...start with something low stakes and cheap, like burgers, and see how it goes. It's almost impossible to screw up and I now use it exclusively on good steaks.

I've tried the mayo instead of butter hack and yeah, it doesn't taste obviously gross and it does brown well, but I don't see any decided advantage and since I don't use mayo on anything else, I stopped using it.

Try using ricotta instead of mayo in tuna, egg or potato salad. It's an excellent binder, doesn't have mayo's slightly greasy mouth feel and best of all, doesn't spoil in heat like mayo does.
    This means you can take it on picnics without fear of food poisoning your family.
    Unless that's the goal, in which case bring on the Hellman's.

By the way, here's another recipe that's very simple and surprisingly delicious...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB10tnzHGXE
    Cabbage just transforms with heat.
    I've only served this as a side but a big enough slab would make a fine vegetarian main course.

And, as a bonus, here's a desert that is very middle eastern and the easiest yet...slice an orange into disks and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. That's it. It's light, refreshing, probably good for you and remarkably tasty, much better than you'd expect.
    How can you argue with a dessert that takes 10 seconds to prepare?
    Last edited by clocker; 08-27-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast