Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Comcast Suspend Ur Account If U Use Bittorrent

Just be careful u'alllllllll. I think it's true. Go to SBC Yahoo DSL if possible. Bye and all the best.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Originally posted by DasScoot@27 November 2003 - 23:04
    They could probably suspend your account if your favorite color was green, if they wanted to.
    That is completley correct. Read your eula, ISP's can do whatever they want to your connection, and know exactly what you are doing with it should they choose to know. Its more a matter of if they would want to, not if they can.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    You know it's funny I read this thread last night and It jogged my memory to an incident I had with ATT broadband about a year ago. I was using Kazaa constantly and ended up getting an e-mail from the saying I violated their terms of service and I had been formally warned to stop illegally downloading copyrighted shit.

Well it pissed me off so much that instantly e-mailed them back and told them to "go fuck themselves, butt the fuck out I pay $60 a month for your service, quit violating my privacy, and if you don't like what I'm doing I'll just switch over to DSL (it was cable) in a heart beat.

Well funny enough I had them for another 2 months after that, I continued to download what i wanted when I wanted to, and they never hassled me about it again. B)

So I say if you get one of these e-mails and you can AFFORD to burn your bridges with your current ISP...Tell them to fuck off or you'll switch to a competitor. Worked for me!

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by BillyBongThorton@28 November 2003 - 12:43
    You know it's funny I read this thread last night and It jogged my memory to an incident I had with ATT broadband about a year ago. I was using Kazaa constantly and ended up getting an e-mail from the saying I violated their terms of service and I had been formally warned to stop illegally downloading copyrighted shit.

Well it pissed me off so much that instantly e-mailed them back and told them to "go fuck themselves, butt the fuck out I pay $60 a month for your service, quit violating my privacy, and if you don't like what I'm doing I'll just switch over to DSL (it was cable) in a heart beat.

Well funny enough I had them for another 2 months after that, I continued to download what i wanted when I wanted to, and they never hassled me about it again. B)

So I say if you get one of these e-mails and you can AFFORD to burn your bridges with your current ISP...Tell them to fuck off or you'll switch to a competitor. Worked for me!
    ha ha. nice one! if i get a router, it'll be a hardware firewall that blocks everything rite? it'll be better than the software firewalls like zonealarm or sygate?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Yep..alot better IMO, the only problem is (at least with bittorent) you need forward to ports to achieve your maximum d/l speeds...I have yet to do this with my Belkin router so I zeroed in on your threat about configuring your router. Hopefully someone can help because I am clueless as how to go about doing it.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Originally posted by BillyBongThorton@28 November 2003 - 12:57
    Yep..alot better IMO, the only problem is (at least with bittorent) you need forward to ports to achieve your maximum d/l speeds...I have yet to do this with my Belkin router so I zeroed in on your threat about configuring your router. Hopefully someone can help because I am clueless as how to go about doing it.
    yea. i remember there's a link to a guide. but i forgot wat it was, so i'm asking for it

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by BillyBongThorton@28 November 2003 - 12:57
    If you're behind a router AND port-forwarding AND running BitTorrent, it's the same to ANYONE trying to monitor you as not running a firewall/router at all.

BitTorrent experimental versions SHOWS almost every ip of everyone trying to download/upload that file at the time.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Originally posted by Switeck+28 November 2003 - 22:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 28 November 2003 - 22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BillyBongThorton@28 November 2003 - 12:57
    Yep..alot better IMO, the only problem is (at least with bittorent) you need forward to ports to achieve your maximum d/l speeds...I have yet to do this with my Belkin router so I zeroed in on your threat about configuring your router.&nbsp; Hopefully someone can help because I am clueless as how to go about doing it.
    If you&#39;re behind a router AND port-forwarding AND running BitTorrent, it&#39;s the same to ANYONE trying to monitor you as not running a firewall/router at all.

BitTorrent experimental versions SHOWS almost every ip of everyone trying to download/upload that file at the time. [/b][/quote]
    Um, Yeah well that&#39;s the inherent risk of using bittorent. There pretty much no way around this since your download speed is proportional to you upload speed.

Besdies I was referring to hardware firewall v. software firewalls in general. Not for purposes of trying to keep you IP address conceal (which as you so eloquently stated is impossible in this case).

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by BillyBongThorton+28 November 2003 - 19:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BillyBongThorton @ 28 November 2003 - 19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Switeck@28 November 2003 - 22:36
    <!--QuoteBegin-BillyBongThorton
    @28 November 2003 - 12:57

If you&#39;re behind a router AND port-forwarding AND running BitTorrent, it&#39;s the same to ANYONE trying to monitor you as not running a firewall/router at all.

BitTorrent experimental versions SHOWS almost every ip of everyone trying to download/upload that file at the time.
    Um, Yeah well that&#39;s the inherent risk of using bittorent. There pretty much no way around this since your download speed is proportional to you upload speed.

Besdies I was referring to hardware firewall v. software firewalls in general. Not for purposes of trying to keep you IP address conceal (which as you so eloquently stated is impossible in this case). [/b][/quote]
    then wats so good bout a hardware firewall?

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@28 November 2003 - 21:38
    then wats so good bout a hardware firewall?
    A hardware firewall takes a HUGE load off the computer.

The computer never even has to SEE incomming internet packets on &#39;hostile&#39; ip ports, such as 135-139. The router can block 100% of them.

In theory, a super internet virus might be able to wipe out every Windows computer EVEN IF THEY HAD A SOFTWARE FIREWALL due to some oddball security hole that Microsoft never publically revealed, but if it worked only on a single ip port then a router could block that port and you&#39;d never have to worry about it slipping through on that port.

Many software firewalls leave at least some ip ports needlessly in a state that they will respond back that they&#39;re closed instead of sending no reply at all. This is all a hacker/virus needs to determine if it should continue hacking into that ip using different routes. A router can make the computer completely stealth to many pings/probes -- unless those probes hit a forwarded port. This is why you only forward as few ip ports as possible -- even perhaps disabling them when NOT using the program/service that needs them&#33; (DMZ = BAD&#33; Use individual/range ip port forwarding instead&#33

BUT... if you&#39;re using a non-standard ip port for KL++ (instead of 1214) and blocking port 1214 at your router as well as in KL++, then normal &#39;quick&#39; probes on ip port 1214 to see if you&#39;re running Kazaa/KL++ will turn up NOTHING even though KL++ may be going wide-open at the moment they scan you.

A hardware firewall (a router, in other words) is good for blocking ip PORTS, while a software firewall (a program on your computer) is good for blocking IP addresses and behaviors. They are either POOR at or unable to do what the other can do -- a software firewall usually doesn&#39;t have ip port-blocking that&#39;s configureable by the user and a router usually cannot block based on IP addresses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast