Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 103

Thread: I just PMed...

  1. #31
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Over here!
    Posts
    15,170
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Well FST was originally the KazaaLite forum if I remember, Random_Nut used to post his updates here.

    I think I was on another forum for the FastTrack network, Morpheus maybe, and someone (I can't remember who) posted "Hey! Join my new forum for Kazaa Lite" ... so that was that.
    So when you say that Barborossa?? Do you mean it was an indexing site here?? Or they posted links to Download?? I can't see it just being a Forum with no agenda??

    And then i assume it was a indexing site for Torrents, and then NZB's??

    And was it always the same owners here??
    Can't exactly remember it was a long time ago, but it was before bittorrent got popular. I think you came here to discuss how to install and use kazaa lite, and news and updates were posted here. Then because downloads took so long, other forums were opened up for people to chat while they were waiting for stuff to download. In fact, wasn't a link to the forum built in to kazaa-lite itself? My memory is hazy on that.

    It must have done something right, because in the 6 months between me joining and j2k4 joining it had added 90k members. (Which in 2002 was about half of all internet users )

  2. Lounge   -   #32
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I remember setting up for perhaps five files that would/could take days to DL.

    Videos - again, for me - sort of became routine with cable and Demonoid.

    You could do a movie a day, then a movie in about ten minutes, and people went nuts buying storage and blank media.

    My, how things have changed.
    That they have. I remember Kazaa, MP3.com, and waiting a half hour to get a low quality (by modern standards) song. If you stayed up until late enough, you might be able to get an extra KB/s. Oh, and my country didn't have flat telephone rates at the time, so the Internet was like an arcade game - a quarter for two minutes of play.
    Funny in these days you speak of , i never downloaded music until they had actual players that were equipped for it....

    In my days you either had cases and cases (I am talking hundreds) of original Cd's or Cassette tapes, and i am still trying to get rid of all of them..

    Shit i still remember looking at all the local stores when Verbatim disks went on sale or price matching them at BestBuy or a store Called Future Shop....Online shopping didn't really exists, even know i was not really into it.....Those were all over the house too!!!!!

    Oh the good ol days Anon, and it seems that you started at a much younger age as well.....

    When one of my friends really got me into downloading stuff, (Giganews days), he actually had a FTP server that he gave me access to to get stuff from, but once i started to see stuff from a Usenet indexing site, i saw his taste of things wasn't the best match , so i joined myself..
    It is to this day still really funny that i never got into Torrents??
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money

  3. Lounge   -   #33
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    It must have done something right, because in the 6 months between me joining and j2k4 joining it had added 90k members. (Which in 2002 was about half of all internet users )
    Holy Shit!!!, are you sure your not exaggerating on the number of members?? If not, that is crazy!!!

    I have to assume that there wasn't very many sites like this then?? And really i wonder what happened to a ton that are non existent now??

    Again as you read the post to Anon , i never downloaded music that early....Until my kids had Ipod's
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money

  4. Lounge   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    In my days you either had cases and cases (I am talking hundreds) of original Cd's or Cassette tapes
    Same. I burned a lot of CDs back in the early 00s, copied from family and friends in the beginning, then downloaded off the Internet once connection speeds improved. Then last year I had to give or throw most of them away because I didn't listen to them anymore

    You might remember Teltron "golden" discs, which were more expensive and supposedly lasted longer because they were dusted with (0.000000000000000000000000000001 grams of) gold? Marketing at its finest... but there were differences among brands, and choosing the right burning speed was also a factor.

    I think Kazaa still technically works if you have a public IP or use KaNat, and wait a day or two for it to connect. Not that I have much interest in trying...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

  5. Lounge   -   #35
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post

    Same. I burned a lot of CDs back in the early 00s, copied from family and friends in the beginning, then downloaded off the Internet once connection speeds improved. Then last year I had to give or throw most of them away because I didn't listen to them anymore
    Oh the days using a pirated copy of Nero LOL!!!
    I think we are forgetting the VCD days as well Disk1 and how many frigging times you had to search the rooms for Disk2 LOL!!
    Was it the old Bin and Cue, and the days when you thought a Cam was the greatest

    You might remember Teltron "golden" discs, which were more expensive and supposedly lasted longer because they were dusted with (0.000000000000000000000000000001 grams of) gold? Marketing at its finest... but there were differences among brands, and choosing the right burning speed was also a factor.
    Honestly no Anon, i don't remember using that brand of disks, but you got me curios to look at some of the ones i do have left in drawers to check out.. The same you talked about speeds, the same the days where you needed a certain burner for Xbox (360)games Lite on or Pioneer drives and it has to be a certain rev and model LOL!!!!
    My memory back my first DVD drive was a Plextor 4X burner, and fuck was it expensive!!!! you can buy a reasonable laptop today

    I think Kazaa still technically works if you have a public IP or use KaNat, and wait a day or two for it to connect. Not that I have much interest in trying...
    That is interesting , but really who needs it?? I mean between torrents, usenet, one click, or even free music sites right, plus how many people have services to stream music today...
    As you know personally, i also had a ton of Ghetto Blasters and mini cd stereo players that i either won on charities or golf tournaments, again i threw out or gave away most of them, but kept the ones that could play MP3 disks that you could put 200 plus songs on a standard cd, and also has ports to plug in a MP3 players. I have original Apple phones and older Ipods all over as well. That's what i use in the Backyard...
    I was thinking of the name most people use now in there backyards Sonos right?? I assume the service is world wide?? I never used it, the same i won a serious radio thing, used it for a year now it is in a drawer too...

    The other thing i found still in the box Sharp IQ-8100M with all the modules LOL!!, I think i bought it for my wife because it has a Tetris module, and she liked the game..
    Last edited by shaina; 11-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money

  6. Lounge   -   #36
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I'm sure manker is okay. He always had a policy of disappearing from the forum completely whenever he had to focus on work. Unfortunate, but understandable.
    Ya it is end of the year, you know Tax season for Accountants LOL!!!, Really i don't know if he really is or not, but i still bugged him about it....

    The better stories and great poster in my opinion was MJMacky, i wonder if he is living in a tent on some California street, or shacked up with some he/she chick

    Just from his brief times in and out posting here, i know if he does come back he will have some really good stories to tell......

    Anon: The really strange one is Piercerseth?? I haven't PM'd him in a long time, so i am not even sure if he pops in here on not?? He was a good guy as well.....
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money

  7. Lounge   -   #37
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,735
    Yeah, Barbs - your memory is better than mine, and yes, we idled away time posting, waiting for DLs to complete.

    All this also morphed rather quickly into pirate OSs with all sorts of stuff slip-streamed in - I think that was our modus (mine, at any rate) from Win 98/SE all the way to Win 7.

    MS couldn't keep up with us...

    Random_Nut...there's a handle I haven't heard in eons.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

    -Mark Twain

  8. Lounge   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Oh the days using a pirated copy of Nero LOL!!!
    I think we are forgetting the VCD days as well Disk1 and how many frigging times you had to search the rooms for Disk2 LOL!!
    Was it the old Bin and Cue, and the days when you thought a Cam was the greatest
    I used Easy CD Creator, from back when it was made by Adaptec. I tried Nero for some time, since it was supposed to be a role model for disc burning software, but found it too complicated and bloated for my taste. Not to mention "unauthorized" registration keys stopped working every now and then

    Believe it or not, I had zero interest on movie piracy until around 2009, and by that time we already had devices that could read them without transcoding and from memory cards, so there was little reason to bother with VCDs or optical media at all. Before then, I just watched them on TV, or rented them from a video store in the case of highly anticipated flicks

    Honestly no Anon, i don't remember using that brand of disks, but you got me curios to look at some of the ones i do have left in drawers to check out.. The same you talked about speeds, the same the days where you needed a certain burner for Xbox (360)games Lite on or Pioneer drives and it has to be a certain rev and model LOL!!!!
    My memory back my first DVD drive was a Plextor 4X burner, and fuck was it expensive!!!! you can buy a reasonable laptop today
    My first burner was a HP CD Writer Plus 9300i. $350 after tax. And blank media was really expensive too, so getting a coaster due to a burning error was painful. The wisdom of the time was: turn off the antivirus, close all programs, disconnect from all networks, and don't record faster than 4x (or even 2x) no matter what your burner supports.

    Another gimmick you might remember: CD-Rs with completely black recording surfaces. Original PlayStation games used these, but that wasn't the only part of their copy protection, so you still needed a modchip.

    That is interesting , but really who needs it?? I mean between torrents, usenet, one click, or even free music sites right, plus how many people have services to stream music today...
    My point exactly

    As you know personally, i also had a ton of Ghetto Blasters and mini cd stereo players that i either won on charities or golf tournaments, again i threw out or gave away most of them, but kept the ones that could play MP3 disks that you could put 200 plus songs on a standard cd, and also has ports to plug in a MP3 players. I have original Apple phones and older Ipods all over as well. That's what i use in the Backyard...
    I was thinking of the name most people use now in there backyards Sonos right?? I assume the service is world wide?? I never used it, the same i won a serious radio thing, used it for a year now it is in a drawer too...
    I only ever had a Philips AZ1101. Used it until the laser stopped working, then gave it away last year too. Boomboxes with MP3 support were amazing when they came out because you could fit so many more songs than in a regular audio CD, but I think mobile phones and minicomputers have diminished the appeal now.

    No idea on the backyard thing, but you probably did the right thing shelving it, I'm not a big fan of having microphones in my house myself...

    The other thing i found still in the box Sharp IQ-8100M with all the modules LOL!!, I think i bought it for my wife because it has a Tetris module, and she liked the game..
    This seems like a good moment to mention I have a Texas Instruments PS-3660i and use it almost every day.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

  9. Lounge   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Ya it is end of the year, you know Tax season for Accountants LOL!!!, Really i don't know if he really is or not, but i still bugged him about it....
    He's been gone for a bit more than one year, though

    The better stories and great poster in my opinion was MJMacky, i wonder if he is living in a tent on some California street, or shacked up with some he/she chick

    Just from his brief times in and out posting here, i know if he does come back he will have some really good stories to tell......
    Absolutely agreed, I loved reading his threads.

    Anon: The really strange one is Piercerseth?? I haven't PM'd him in a long time, so i am not even sure if he pops in here on not?? He was a good guy as well.....
    Several years ago he made a thread in the staff area asking to be demoted because most of his NZBs were getting copyright takedowns, and he wanted to take a break. I guess said break was permanent. Other than that, I know as much as you do.

    And he was a fan of Boards of Canada, which automatically makes him a great person
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

  10. Lounge   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    All this also morphed rather quickly into pirate OSs with all sorts of stuff slip-streamed in - I think that was our modus (mine, at any rate) from Win 98/SE all the way to Win 7.

    MS couldn't keep up with us...
    Then you likely remember the names 98lite, nLite, AntiWPA and MicroXP Windows 98 was so much faster if you used the 95 shell. Same goes for XP if you created a custom CD with all useless features removed and updates integrated (which meant your disk wouldn't be filled with uninstallers).
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •