Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cable Speed Vs. $$$

One thing I would recommend is calling and complaining to your cable company if you notice your speed drop for extended periods of time (I'm not talking rush hour stuff, more like a couple days). This happened to me the same time I was installing a network for sharing the connection, and I was just sure that it was bad settings until I called up my ISP, told em what was going on, and they fixed the prob. (Sort of...)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    My cable co also has that same option.

I run at 768 down, for about 45 bucks a month. Its like another 25$ for the 1.5 meg connection.

For gaming purposes, 768 is way more then adaquate.

For filesharing... right now im downloading, binging more like it, about 10 fulls cds of data, movies, and games, 700 megs each. Im maxing out my connection, as im about my 800 down, in total on all the files. Rarely do I do this. And its even rarer that a couple files on the network will max out my 768 down, cuz it depends so much on how many senders there are, & what their upload speeds are.

I wont upgrade to 1.5 megs, its more then I need. If I decide to run a home network, and share my connection, maybe then, but the 768 is plenty for me.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Cable is defintly better. It's usually cheaper and faster than DSL. But DSL is more widely available. This has been my experience in NYC. I guess it varies, depending on MANY factors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123