Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable Speed Vs. $$$

nizers's Avatar Poster
    I currently am subscribing to a Cable ISP in my area that is their "Gold" package which is supposed to connect at 1.5Mbps. They also have a silver package that connects at 750Kbps. I pay like an extra 30 some odd dollars for my Gold package but am thinking of downgrading. My buddy has the silver and don't notice any difference between his connect/DL time and mine. Is the extra bandwidth worth the 30?? I just want the best performance for the best dollar.

BTW i don't play any online games, i just do a lot of movie DL's and want to start burning some VCD's.

thx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Probably you wouldn't really notice much difference in download speed unless you download about 10 movies at a time. When you're downloading alot of stuff that extra bandwidth makes a difference, but for the most part you wouldn't be really needing it. Not to say it isn't nice though.... but $30 is $30.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    TheMan1891 has a point. There may also be folks that may limit the uploading bandwidth as well so no matter what type of connection you have, if you download from one of them and they have limits set you will not gain from it. Reconsider that Gold package.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    nizers's Avatar Poster
    So, the 750Kbps should be more then plenty to do everything I would need to on the internet??

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by nizers@12 February 2003 - 07:49
      So, the 750Kbps should be more then plenty to do everything I would need to on the internet??
    In my opinion...yes. If your downloads are no where near the 1.5Mbps and closer to the 750Kps, I would definitely change plans.

Besides just think of all the other things you could do with the xtra $30 bucks??? Like buy more cdrs B)
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    You also have to consider how much UPLOAD speed you're getting.

The GOLD package might give you ~256kbps while the Silver only gives ~128kbps.

This is how 'friendly' you can be by sharing with others.
    256kbps goes a LOT further -- you can upload up to about 30KB/sec, so that's like 3 10KB/sec uploads in Kazaa.

128kbps can actually prove a problem -- as not only do you have less, but the overhead remains the same for stuff like Kazaa, web surfing, video 'telephone' conferencing, and realtime online games (a REALLY big upload bandwidth eater&#33 and can make the whole connection seem like a 56k modem if you don't limit them to what your connection can sustain.
    With 128kbps, you'll be lucky to have 3 uploads in Kazaa running at 4KB/sec each.

If the Gold and Silver packages are BOTH the same upload speed -- DEFINITELY take the silver one!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    id say go with the cheaper service the main problem with cable is that its a shared connect with every one in the nabor hood so if u got a lot of peps(more then about 7 peps as most cable systems can only handel 10Mbps for each naborhood) in ur naborhood on line at the same time ur not gona get ur 1.5Mbps anyway
    btw im on a dsl plan with earthlink now that gives me 1.5Mps down and 128 up for 49.95 a month and dsl bandwith is not shared its all mine all the time they got a spechal going now to get the 1st 3mo for 21.95 a mo this is the price of most dial up services but it gos up to 49.95 after 3 mo and u got to sign a 1 year agreement

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Is your cable modem tweaked? If not, go to Speedguide and get the appropriate patches you need. Then go to bandwidthplace and check your speed. If you're not getting your money's worth, then it's only logical to downgrade.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    It sounds like you're paying $30 more for a service your not getting. Downgrade, take the $30 and buy beer.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    Unless your uploading and downloading vast amounts of data the extra speed just isn't worth having.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast