Thread: Windows 98 Problem

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I got a Windows 98 computer that it looks like has all of its startup files corrupted, so i formated the hard drive through MS-DOS and when i start the computer it jus gives me "Microsoft 98 copyright, blah blah blah, C:\>" in DOS mode still. A friend gave me a Windows 98 SE CD and in the BIOS menu i set the computer to boot up with the CD but it dosen't work. I also tried in DOS mode "D:\>SETUP.EXE" but thats not working either. Can u tell me what to do, i don't know if the copy of my Windows 98 CD is jus like the originals. I don't know what else to do though.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Sounds like you need a bootable floppy, goto bootdisk.com and download the floppy and boot with it and have the cd in also.
    Start the 'puter with cd-rom support (from the floppy) then format the hard-drive then when you are finished and back to the A: prompt just type setup and hit return. This should start the new windows installlation.
    BTW, your cd isn't a Recovery CD is it?

Hope this helps,
    Steve

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Its funny im setting up an old puter as I type this.But the drive letters change when you load win98 drivers like ram disk etc. Try E:/ SETUP instead its probaly that easy.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ~Tabatah~
    Originally posted by 99shassan@27 November 2003 - 12:26
    I got a Windows 98 computer that it looks like has all of its startup files corrupted, so i formated the hard drive through MS-DOS and when i start the computer it jus gives me "Microsoft 98 copyright, blah blah blah, C:\>" in DOS mode still. A friend gave me a Windows 98 SE CD and in the BIOS menu i set the computer to boot up with the CD but it dosen't work. I also tried in DOS mode "D:\>SETUP.EXE" but thats not working either. Can u tell me what to do, i don't know if the copy of my Windows 98 CD is jus like the originals. I don't know what else to do though.
    If the file are corrupted you need a "startdisk" with format.exe !!!
    Format whiole HD from this startdisk and then Install from new
    everything with Win98 SE CD (OEM)!!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Get the win98 boot floppy, stick it in, go to g:\ (your cd rom letter) and type dir then tpye setup.exe, and done.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Wizzandabe@27 November 2003 - 16:30
    Get the win98 boot floppy, stick it in, go to g:\ (your cd rom letter) and type dir then tpye setup.exe, and done.
    remember using a bootdisk put's your drives one letter back, so the d: would now be e: and so on...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I always CD to the drive/directory where the steup files are, and have no problems from there.

With Win95, 98, 98SE & ME I've always done something like:
    E:
    DIR /P
    CD WIN&#092; <or whatever it is>
    DIR /P
    SETUP /?
    SETUP <whatever switches I want to set>

If the setup file appear in the directory listing then I can run it.

Of course, XP&#39;s setup program won&#39;t run in DOS, so you have to execute the right file in i386&#092;.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by Kunal+27 November 2003 - 08:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kunal @ 27 November 2003 - 08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Wizzandabe@27 November 2003 - 16:30
    Get the win98 boot floppy, stick it in, go to g:&#092; (your cd rom letter) and type dir then tpye setup.exe, and done.
    remember using a bootdisk put&#39;s your drives one letter back, so the d: would now be e: and so on... [/b][/quote]
    No shit Sherelock read the posts