Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Operating System that is not Windows?

Windows 7 is obsolete, so what OS do you use?

What is the easiest and most user-friendly?

What is the hardest and geared toward the tech-savy?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mumar View Post
    Windows 7 is obsolete
    Says who?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mumar View Post
    Windows 7 is obsolete
    Says who?
    Support for Windows 7 has been stopped by MS. No more updates.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The same is true of XP and 98, but this hasn't stopped people from simply continuing using them... even making their own update patches and developing solutions to address shortcomings.

Similarly, it's going to take a long time until 7 is truly obsolete (for starters, the Embedded version of it will receive updates for another year), and personally I don't plan on moving from it anytime soon. It's the last good system Microsoft made before they slowly started going downhill.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    it's going to take a long time until 7 is truly obsolete (for starters, the Embedded version of it will receive updates for another year)
    It gets better.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...urity-updates/

Illegal updates, how exciting!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I'm using macOS on my MacBook Pro, but I like Windows 10 better.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Run Debian buster on one box (PiHole), Debian stretch on my web server and Odroid C2 (deluge/sabnzb). Main PC is indeed Win10 but also duel boots wagyu for CheckRain usage.

Would I go for anything but Windows, no..... the others serve a great purpose but you need the software support to make it a driver. Ubuntu is nice (if you come from MAC world) but is limbo between geek and user.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Says Microsoft . . . though some countries' militaries are paying through the nose for continued support. You don't want to think about what weapons systems use it . . .

Ubuntu is fairly accessible to the non-geek these days but apparently the Mint version is easier . . . love how Ubuntu upgrades without effort and how Wine can run all the old stuff that Windows won't any more . . .
    Last edited by Equalwings; 03-01-2020 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    ESU patch applied in that VM. I think you`ll find C64 running the nukes, at least that is what I get from films.... could of been a VIC20, they do look the same

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalwings View Post
    Says Microsoft . . . though some countries' militaries are paying through the nose for continued support. You don't want to think about what weapons systems use it . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    ESU patch applied in that VM. I think you`ll find C64 running the nukes, at least that is what I get from films.... could of been a VIC20, they do look the same
    To my knowledge, actual weapons are controlled by very old systems (perhaps not Commodore 64, but close enough) because proven reliability is extremely important. You wouldn't want Windows Update to install the latest patches and reboot when you're about to launch those nukes

As for the ESU patch, POSReady was one thing, but since these updates are supposed to be paid for and their prices set to increase each year, it remains to be seen whether Microsoft will continue their policy of tolerance. So far, so good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast