Thread: Has Anyone Had "this Problem"...

Poster
    Has anyone had "this problem"...
    ...with the GeForce4 MX 440 ?

I never had this problem before. This is something recently new occuring. When playing a high-end game, like unreal tournament, the 'game play' has suddenly become choppy. Once in a while the mouse even "freezes" momentarily. This is annoying. The motherboard will even beep on occasion.

All other windows functions appear not to be affected, unless a 3D program demands the video card's functions.

Can it be that this video card is deteriorating? I always assumed that video cards "Will" or "Will Not" work. Just die without warning. I had this card for over a year, and installed Windows several times (my method of cleaning the hard drive) and never had a problem.

---------------

I checked for overheating, no problem there.

I re-installed Windows (bare bones as much as possible), scanned viruses. Used original drivers, then updated them. Reset my BIOS to many defaults (such as "best performance", 'top performance', default, etc...). Changed the VGA settings. Disabled auto-updating, turned off programs running in the background, etc.. I did everything, except try a different motherboard.

I know that the GeForce4 MX 440 is sucky, but not for the games I play.

Any replies is appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    maybe the card is passing away, does it have a fan that went out...perhaps its overheating?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    GCNaddict's Avatar Poster
    ive found a similar issue with my fx5700u. turned out that the mobo hardware 3d sound was to blame, so i switched to software 3d sound (also sounds better too&#33

is the card integrated into the mobo? if so, call it an nForce 2, as the nForce2 chipset is very simply, a gF4mx440

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    My friend had this problem.

His was onboard though, and it's also the Gf4.
    IT would be choppy while playing it,(Actually did this in Unreal Tournament and Solider of Fortune). but only effected the games and nothing else.
    I replaced the ram chip, and now it works fine..

So if its an actually card, it could be the ram on the card itself going bad, if it's integrated, might be the ram on the board.

is the card integrated into the mobo? if so, call it an nForce 2, as the nForce2 chipset is very simply, a gF4mx440
    Just because it's integrated doesn't mean you have to call it an Nforce 2, the chipset on the board will most likely be Nforce, but it can be an nforce chipset without having integrated graphics. And when you buy a mobo with nforce 2 chipset, and integrated graphics, it will specifically say Nforce 2 chipset, and Geforce 4 MX Integrated, that’s what NVIDIA officially refers to it, according to their site.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I found the problem!

The problem only appeared when I played games.

It is my Pentium4 2.0gHz Processor. Going bad!

I tried different video cards, different memory and two different P4 motherboards, different P4 processors, Installed XP many times and the problem only exists when the Pentium4 2.0gHz Processor is used.

The Pentium4 1.5gHz Processor that I compared with, is MUCH better than what my "now crippled" 2.0gHz currently is. I knew there was something starnge when the motherboard would make bleeps noises on occasion.

I never knew that a Pentium4 processor can progressively deteriorate. I always assumed it would just blow out and die instantly.

That GeForce4 MX 440 video card is till good.