Thread: Rpm Probs

Poster
    Look behind you, you may not see me, but I am there
    I am running Mandrake Linux, and I have problems installing .RPM files.

I do as I'm supposed to:
    Code:
    rpm -i <filename>.rpm
    And, I always get an error

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Dependencies checked? You should use the software installer that's built into Mandrake. It checks it all for you before installing.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ZeroX9@28 November 2003 - 16:17
    I am running Mandrake Linux, and I have problems installing .RPM files.

I do as I'm supposed to:
    Code:
    rpm -i <filename>.rpm
    And, I always get an error
    rpm -i is not the best method to install from the terminal. It would be on a red hat system though.

Try typing in "rpm" at the terminal (without the quotes) and youll get a long list of arguments to pass to the command.

I generally use rpm -ivFh {file}.rpm

also make sure that the rpm file has a mdk in the extension for mandrake platform.

It doesnt have to be an mdk rpm but that would help a lot. Not all rpms are for all systems unless they have a noarch (no specific architecture required) extention on it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Where does an RPM save to, and how do I check if it worked?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ZeroX9@28 November 2003 - 19:26
    Where does an RPM save to, and how do I check if it worked?
    Well for starters its going to save wherever your browser saved it to. If your using the root acoount and your using a browser and when you download it mozilla or whatever browser your using will give you a download prompt and will generally save it to: /root/

If iyour using a different user acccount besides root it will be saved in like : /home/username

But thats a fairly elementary question. Make sure you cd in to directory first (more convenient)

Just know where the file name is and do it like this:

/placewherefileis/

cut and paste /placewherefileis/(filename).rpm but do this in front of it and while at terminal:

(terminal) #bash rpm -ivFh /placewherefileis/file.rpm

and it should or should not generate output like "Installation Succesful" or it depends on the distro of mandrake your using it may not give you any output at and but that stilll means it was succesful install.

If you get dependency issues in the output then I suggest you download the appropriate libraries and such that it says you need to install whatever rpm package your attempting to put on your system.

And also check your md5 checksums with rpm packages to even if you do get most of them from mandrake servers/mirrors.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    I never get a message saying that installation is successful. It always just goes down to the next line.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ZeroX9@29 November 2003 - 12:32
    I never get a message saying that installation is successful. It always just goes down to the next line.
    Like I said depending on what your using it may or may not generate output at the terminal.

Of course thats a good thing because if it wasnt succesful then you would get an error right? (dependency issues or manifest package errors)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    It never puts anything into /home/username/ when I run an RPM

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ZeroX9@29 November 2003 - 13:02
    It never puts anything into /home/username/ when I run an RPM
    I didnt say when you run it. I said when you download it.

If your wanting to know where the rpm is installed to then that depends on what your installing with a rpm. Generally that should not concern the user, only the poweruser.

rpm files are put in a default directory after they are installed but that depends on what distro.

In red hat you might find them in /var/ or something but overall the binaries are installed in the paths defined in the RPM script. If you want to see a list of rpms installed then you could use the mandrake control center or download webmin admin utility.

http://www.webmin.com/