Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Formal English

For a lot of people in this forum, english is not our own language, so we can find very hard to understand you, when you use very informal expressions, that are very familar to you, but unknown for us. I think, we'll be very grateful if you only use formal english, so that we can understand everything.
    Thanks

2. Lounge   -   #2

Sory got to laugh at this.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    why don't you just speak in your natural tongue (tongue meaning language, not the bit of meat in your mouth (someone might make a joke based on sexual innuendo on this statement (sexual inuendo is when a joke is made which relates to a position of comedy based on sex and/or sexuality)))

hope that was clear
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Lounge   -   #4
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    whay aye, course a can dee like
    <insert signature here>

5. Lounge   -   #5
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 12:07
    For a lot of people in this forum, english is not our own language, so we can find very hard to understand you, when you use very informal expressions, that are very familar to you, but unknown for us. I think, we&#39;ll be very grateful if you only use formal english, so that we can understand everything.
    Thanks
    Where are you from by the way?

Unfortunately this is impossible to control - as you may understand, there are thousands who are members and all from different country&#39;s. Its bad enough trying to stop them from posting garbage, let alone speak properly

Your point is well taken though, but i fear you are not gonna be pleased. Try to find some other members of your nationality here and exchange views and problems with them. The Dutch certainly do

Peace
    UKMan

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Or get yourself a dictionairy(serious)
    Always a good way to broaden(<used dictionairy for this one ) your vocabulairy.Asking everyone to use simple words won&#39;t help you much with learning and better understanding englisch(<didn&#39;t use a dictionairy for this one...and it shows ).

7. Lounge   -   #7
    http://dictionary.reference.com

also, you might want a good thesaurus
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Talking about americans in general, it will be hard to find any that speak formal or correct english.

Just travel around a little and you will see the differances in dialect. Most were not raised with any formal or correct english spoken language(myself included).

When I went to germany, the first time I ran into english speaking germans they were speaking formal english they had learned in school; [ and ] I was speaking in the slang version I grew up with. Talk about confused [ And ] I was about 19 at the time, so I was speaking anything but an acceptable version of english

TD

corrected by RF
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    also remember that you probably have far greater english skill, than a native english speaker would likely have of your first language.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Or get yourself a dictionairy(serious)
    I&#39;m quite sure that the English he was referring to wouldn&#39;t even be in the dictionary.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast