Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are Computer Terms Offensive?

ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Whats next ,should we stop refering to the orentation of a plug or socket as male or female

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    SniperInTheShadows's Avatar Poster
    Political correctness first, PC correctness second, how much lamer can it get? lol

I find it very difficult to understand how something like this could even reach official's, yet alone for manufacturers etc to be asked to do such a thing.

Are we going to have to stop calling processor's 'CPU's because of how they sound like someone's saying "See pee you"?

This world need's to learn the meaning of the word 'acceptance' and how to deal with other peep's way's and believes, not go around trying to change what everyone else is allowed to think, say or believe

Sniper.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Poster
    I think it is a fair point. There are obvious connotations, which to some may be offensive.

Just because some thing, or some tradition, or some terminology has been used for a long time does not make it right.

There is a rather old tradition in this country, possibly elsewhere, of the "Black and White Minstrels". Where white men put on black make-up, with white lips and eyes and performed shows. It was frankly distasteful and is fortunately now very rare. It is rare because people started to think, wait a minute this is wrong. It's been about for a long time, but it is still wrong.

Think about what the words master and slave are commonly taken to mean. Put an honest mental picture in your head. Then ask yourself, could this offend someone. Not a simple annoyance, but a genuine hurt and offence.

Like I said, I think it is a fair point.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I can't make my mind up on this one. On one hand I think it's a good idea to change these names if it really does offend people on the other hand political correctness gets right up my nose...

And what exactly are they going to change the names to?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    We use mother and daughter for boards, why not father and son for drives.

There are many non-offensive alternatives, which can still indicate priority.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    BANNED
    So what do we replace floppy and hard with then? And what about AC\DC? Of course we'd have to replace the insert and enter keys. The F keys have to go too, they sound too much like fff-you-know-what!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 November 2003 - 12:34
    So what do we replace floppy and hard with then? And what about AC\DC?  Of course we'd have to replace the insert and enter keys.  The F keys have to go too, they sound too much like fff-you-know-what!

You would also have to get rid of DVD Billy. I mean it sounds like an updated version of an old disease. CD sounds like seedy. Where is it all going to end. It is impossible to be PC on a PC.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 November 2003 - 13:34
    So what do we replace floppy and hard with then? And what about AC\DC? Of course we'd have to replace the insert and enter keys. The F keys have to go too, they sound too much like fff-you-know-what!

Why would you want to replace any of those.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    BANNED
    It's a well known fact that the drives were named after penises. AC\DC sounds like it swings both ways. Insert and enter is obviously referring to sexual intercourse.

I feel the whole PC was named by a bunch of deviants.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@29 November 2003 - 14:06
    It's a well known fact that the drives were named after penises. AC\DC sounds like it swings both ways. Insert and enter is obviously referring to sexual intercourse.

I feel the whole PC was named by a bunch of deviants.

Honestly ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast