Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Are Computer Terms Offensive?

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    It certainly sounds like a bad joke some computer geeks thought up.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@29 November 2003 - 21:50
    I find myself increasingly curious about the original complaintant.

We have three pages here devoted to the abstract methods of managing a complaint, yet we have no source knowlege at all about the particulars of this specific grievance.

Who is this person?
    Is the rest of his/her job so absolutely perfect that the nomenclature on some boxes is a noisome irritation?
    How does this person manage to deal with day to day life?

I still think that this is a prank run amok.
    At this point in your new career you can ill-afford to learn everything anew, eh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    BANNED
    I have to go with Hobbes on this one ..
    Originally posted by Hobbes
    If he is so dead offended, then the impetus is on him to gather a petition of signatures to let us know that these words are still caustic and this nomenclature IS an issue.
    In the real world, events have a habit of taking care of themselves, eventually. If an issue arises that merits a change in the law, it is soon picked up. People talk about it, newspapers and TV pick it up, the topic refuses to die. Eventually it becomes a political issue, where it is dealt with, one way or the other..

What it truly needs is to be kept out of the courts, especially somewhere like the UK where they are opening night courts to ease the backlog of cases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the original "request" to companies.

‘We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature.’

This was the guy's remark ..

“It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally.”

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Poster
    Are night courts being opened in the UK, I had not heard this.

Is this in all of the UK or just a specific part, given that Scotland has an entirely different legal system, an entirely different structure of courts, judges, prosecuting body etc.

Also given that Law and Oder is a devolved issue, has the Scottish Executive decided to adopt this practice.

Will it be civil courts as well as criminal.

Have you a source for this development Billy, I am genuinely intrigued.

(Sorry to go off topic and I realise this is spam j2, but it does genuinely interest me)

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    BANNED
    Looks like I'm the one not keeping up with the news JP, then again, I am on the other side of the world.

Night courts idea to be abandoned.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Californian officials? Its obvious! They are trying to justify their jobs to Arnie cause he wants to get rid of the huge budget deficit!

(Although if that is the case, they have just shown how futile and meaningless their jobs are)

What about Cat 5 network cable? Isn't that just conveniently categorizing and labling something so we don't have to think about the real issues involved? Should we give our cables first names?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345