Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Case Design

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It's doing some work. Look at the CPU in this pic:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #72
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes, but he(?) says in the text that the aquarium water and the cooling water never mix. The aquarium doesn't even help cool the radiator. It's purely a deception.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #73
    It's a she:

I'll read into it further. I found this in a magazine contest. She was the winner.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #74
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    How come she doesn't post in here?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #75
    Originally posted by clocker@30 November 2003 - 19:40
    How come she doesn't post in here?
    I don't know?

Maybe we have to invite her.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #76
    lynx's Avatar .
    Well, she's certainly not using silicone.

clocker,
    I suspect any brake fluid may fit the bill with regards to most of the required properties (I don't know about it's thermal capacity but I imagine it would be similar). I suspect it (and particularly aircraft bf) may be relatively expensive though, since it has to withstand extremes of temperature which wouldn't be required for this sort of project.

I would hesitate to use standard brake fluid because of it's property of absorbing water, as I'm not sure what effect this would have on it's thermal properties, but it certainly has very low viscosity so it is worth investigating. The use of a brake fluid reservoir would certainly be a good idea for the header tank.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #77
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    not a bad she to invite... hehehehe

yeah "dorm" fridges.. or just the coling units inside i think could be well worth looking into...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #78
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx@1 December 2003 - 02:33
    Well, she's certainly not using silicone.

clocker,
    I suspect any brake fluid may fit the bill with regards to most of the required properties (I don't know about it's thermal capacity but I imagine it would be similar). I suspect it (and particularly aircraft bf) may be relatively expensive though, since it has to withstand extremes of temperature which wouldn't be required for this sort of project.

I would hesitate to use standard brake fluid because of it's property of absorbing water, as I'm not sure what effect this would have on it's thermal properties, but it certainly has very low viscosity so it is worth investigating. The use of a brake fluid reservoir would certainly be a good idea for the header tank.
    what about the oil the put in the small radiators u can buy in the shops, i wouldnt have thought that would have been hard to come by,
    and it will be doing the same thing, getting heated by the cpu, and transferring the heat outside.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #79
    lynx's Avatar .
    The "dorm" fridge is the sort of thing I was thinking about earlier. Or alternatively a very small freezer, if you want lower temps. I think it would be important to keep the integrity of the unit, so that it could be filled with water bottles (for a fridge) or ice packs (for a freezer) in order to absorb temperature fluctuations. The alternative would be to put the cooling coil into an oil (or other fluid) reservoir, but this would then mean a much larger quantity of expensive fluid, and a bigger header tank.

Livy, your idea of putting the radiator into a loft water tank is a good idea, except for the fact that I've just ripped mine out in favour of instant water heating.

The oil for oil-filled radiators is quite heavy and realtively viscous. Since it is used for heating only I'm not sure it would be too good at low temps, and certainly isn't designed to be pumped around.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #80
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by lynx@1 December 2003 - 03:02
    Livy, your idea of putting the radiator into a loft water tank is a good idea, except for the fact that I've just ripped mine out in favour of instant water heating.

The oil for oil-filled radiators is quite heavy and realtively viscous. Since it is used for heating only I'm not sure it would be too good at low temps, and certainly isn't designed to be pumped around.
    oh well, worth a go. i thought you would still have a tank for cold water. as thats what mines is for, the only tap that runs of the actual mains pipe directly is the kitchen tap.

and it would keep it cool, and its would be easy to do.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast