Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Quibi

  1. #1
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    839
    Found in my inbox this morning:

    Quibi, the short-form video app that probably generated more memes than paying subscribers, is shutting down. Itís an abrupt end for former eBay CEO Meg Whitman and Hollywood super-mogul Jeffery Katzenberg who, armed with $1.8 billion in funding, tried to spend their way into the streaming wars.

    * Quibi dropped up to $100k/minute on original shows featuring the talents of Chrissy Teigen, Chance the Rapper, Anna Kendrick, and other stars.

    Katzenberg and co. envisioned users consuming Quibiís "quick bites" of highly produced video content while on their commute or waiting in line at Starbucks, activities that ended up being the dinosaurs to the pandemicís asteroid.

    * In an open letter Whitman and Katzenberg posted yesterday, they admitted Quibi failed ďLikely for one of two reasons: because the idea itself wasnít strong enough...or because of our timing.Ē

    Looking ahead...you can debate whether it was the pandemic that caused Quibi to fail or its unpopular content, but either way, itís left picking up the pieces. The company is looking to sell its content and technology assets, a potentially tempting investment for big-name tech and media firms should they want to go second-hand shopping.
    I think I downloaded a grand total of *two* of their shows. Haven't watched either one of them. Honestly, that 10-minute-per-episode format never made sense to me. I don't think that "timing" had anything to do with it, so it's probably option #1 above why they went belly up.

  2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Found in my inbox this morning:

    Quibi, the short-form video app that probably generated more memes than paying subscribers, is shutting down. Itís an abrupt end for former eBay CEO Meg Whitman and Hollywood super-mogul Jeffery Katzenberg who, armed with $1.8 billion in funding, tried to spend their way into the streaming wars.

    * Quibi dropped up to $100k/minute on original shows featuring the talents of Chrissy Teigen, Chance the Rapper, Anna Kendrick, and other stars.

    Katzenberg and co. envisioned users consuming Quibiís "quick bites" of highly produced video content while on their commute or waiting in line at Starbucks, activities that ended up being the dinosaurs to the pandemicís asteroid.

    * In an open letter Whitman and Katzenberg posted yesterday, they admitted Quibi failed ďLikely for one of two reasons: because the idea itself wasnít strong enough...or because of our timing.Ē

    Looking ahead...you can debate whether it was the pandemic that caused Quibi to fail or its unpopular content, but either way, itís left picking up the pieces. The company is looking to sell its content and technology assets, a potentially tempting investment for big-name tech and media firms should they want to go second-hand shopping.
    I think I downloaded a grand total of *two* of their shows. Haven't watched either one of them. Honestly, that 10-minute-per-episode format never made sense to me. I don't think that "timing" had anything to do with it, so it's probably option #1 above why they went belly up.
    Actually heard it on the news in the car, i never knew or heard about the streaming service??, but they also mentioned some Emmy's were won for original shows??

    And i agree with you, the 10-minute shit was kind of dumb, and i never looked actually where they came from?? It is bad enough that a half-hour show on cable is really how long once you take out the multiple commercials!!..

    Really what or who was there target audience anyways??
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money

  3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    839
    I guess their idea was to break shows down into 10-minute segments so that you could "consume" them on the subway or the bus on the way to work, or between meetings or classes.

    Uhm... no.

  4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    I guess their idea was to break shows down into 10-minute segments so that you could "consume" them on the subway or the bus on the way to work, or between meetings or classes.

    Uhm... no.
    Well thinking about it, they did mention they were targeting Cell Phone users??

    Maybe data usage was an issue?? Even know pretty much every provider here in Canada now promotes unlimited data plans??

    I just changed all of my families plans, all my kids now have unlimited data ,10gigs full speed, then it drops...

    I guess you just have to say it was an interesting concept, that failed miserably
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money

  5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    State of Grace
    Posts
    29,279
    I wonder what good 1.8 billion dollars might have done if put to some charitable use instead of trying to further deepen the pockets of the already incredibly wealthy? I guess hungry and homeless children will never know.
    Respect my lack of authority.

  6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Never heard of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I wonder what good 1.8 billion dollars might have done if put to some charitable use instead of trying to further deepen the pockets of the already incredibly wealthy?
    We'll find out the day the US government uses 0.2% of the military budget for these purposes
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."

  7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    State of Grace
    Posts
    29,279
    The US military is the only thing preventing Mexico from taking back Texas, commie.

    Drug lords aren't afraid of guns. They only respect ICBMs.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 10-22-2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

  8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    The US military is the only thing preventing Mexico from taking back Texas, commie.
    That and Trump's wall.
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."

  9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    State of Grace
    Posts
    29,279
    If Mexico pays for it, I'm pretty sure it's their wall.
    Respect my lack of authority.

  10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Using Mrs. Nussbaum's CC#
    Posts
    16,850
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    The US military is the only thing preventing Mexico from taking back Texas, commie.
    Other than for barbecue, do we really need Texas? I'm willing to give away Ted Cruz as a free sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Never go in against a Canadian when maple syrup is on the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •