Thread: Resuming Torrent Download Probs

Poster
    I started downloading a movie yesterday, all went fine till my computer froze.

When I retsarted, I hoped to find resuming the download would be easy, but I can't do it. I re-opened the torrent file, but it started downloading the file fresh.

I went back to the folder it was supposedly saved in, but the .avi is 0bytes, and I can't tell what's going on.

I was like 15% through S.W.A.T. and I was dying to get it done. It's a massive waste on dial up you see
    Stoopid News - My Blog / Stoopid News site. All wierd, wacky, crazy news.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Were you using the latest BT version. This kinda thing never happens. Bittorrent alloctes the file while downloading it. The best place to get help on this issue would be at suprnova forum cuz its dedicated to bittorrent problems.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Offcorse when u reboot ur pc manualy all unsaved files will be lost
    ue most close ur BT download to save the downloaded amount

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    If you run scandisk, your partial file will probably be spit out as a *.DAT file in the root folder of the drive it was on.

Good luck getting it to resume though... I know the Shadow's Experimental BitTorrent can handle wrong-length files now, but I'm not sure about anything else.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    this might help to resume torrents, but not retrieve your lost one though.

Whenyou find the torrent you want click to d/l as normal
    Right click to save target (i created a folder caled new downloads) just watch where it saves and go there to restart your torrents.

Cheers

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    If you turn your PC off, or it crashes, and you need to turn it off, the torrent will loose all the datas its dled, as its stored asa temp file..

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    I figured i would have lost a lot of the file...

I started downloading again, but it just won't connect any faster than .5 kbps.

What's the actual procedure for closing donw bittorrent, I'm using shadow's experimental.... I mean, do I pase, or cancel if I have to restart ? and there is no 'shut down' like normal programs...

Anyway, what will save the .dat permemnantly as I go ?
    Stoopid News - My Blog / Stoopid News site. All wierd, wacky, crazy news.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    next time push ctrl alt delte and close BT first.... for a dial up user like me , id just use kazaa lite , my freaking downloads dont even download on bittorent.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Use Torrentstorm, that little program is very handy when it comes down to handling downloads/restart of downloads. So far it has handled my resumed downloads without any problems.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Formula1@1 December 2003 - 19:39
    next time push ctrl alt delte and close BT first.... for a dial up user like me , id just use kazaa lite , my freaking downloads dont even download on bittorent.
    No different from just clicking the X box on the top right corner, quicker too. I do it that way all the time, never a problem for me.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"