Thread: Router Setup - How?

So i got this router.

im a total noob at routers. what do i do to get this to work with 2 pc plugged in and cable? I need to share internet connection and be able to share my printer, folders,...

havent found any info about this that i can use

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by Mavol@28 November 2003 - 12:21
    So i got this router.

im a total noob at routers. what do i do to get this to work with 2 pc plugged in and cable? I need to share internet connection and be able to share my printer, folders,...

havent found any info about this that i can use
    didn't the router come with instructions? it's very easy to setup.

cable modem plugged into WAN port
    pc's plugged into LAN ports

pc's should be gettin ip address from router, router should be getting ip address from cable modem. once that happens, you're online.

to share printers, files, etc...depends on what os u have - but just make sure pc's are on same workgroup so u can see them both in network neighborhood.

to share a folder - right click it and click sharing - name the share.
    to share a printer - right click it and click sharing - name the share.
    to access a shared printer, just double click network neighborhood, the pc name, then the printer name - it will ask if u want to install it - say yes. done.
    to access a shared folder, u can go through network neighborhood to view and map a drive if u need access often.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thx very much kurtsl0an.

i have another question for when i try it out: port forwarding, how?

(i got xp home)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    port forwarding is also called "virtual server" in some router setups.

in order to forward ports, you have to set up the LAN IP address manually on each computer, because the router needs to know exactly which address to forward the data to.

then in the router setup menu, find the options for port forwarding (or virtual server), and enter the ports you want to forward, and which computer you want to forward them to. pretty much all data sent to those ports will be automatically forwarded to the PC that you chose, so that means the program that uses those ports will work great on that PC... but the other PC will not be able to use the same program unless the program's ports can be changed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thx very much 3RA1N1AC B)
    i have one more question: i read through the manual and i came across: 'mac adres'. i wonder what this is. what you can do with this?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i was going to set it up when i came across 2 WAN ports. one labeled X and the other II. Which of these is the one i need to use?