Thread: Compressing All Of Drive C

DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    ok, you know how when you right click the properties of dive c, there is an optiion that says

"compress drive to save disk space"

is this a good thing. i am wondering because i have many roms and i have stepmania on my computer and that took up a lot of space.

do the filed have to be decompressed before thay are burned or not?
    can they just be used how they are?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    File and folder compression can be very helpful and save disk space, but I dont recommend compressing an entire partition or actual drive.

I say that because if you ever wanted to use ms encryption you cant do that with compressed files and folders.

Just place your big files in one area and compress that and make sure you turn on the option to display encrypted or compressed files in color so you can know which ones are. I believe encrypted files and folders become red and compressed become blue.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    compressing drives slows them down doesnt it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Yes its slower - especially if its an app - the app has to uncompress first. Small files though, you prbably wont notice that much

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    so its not good to rea;;y do that then.
    okay
    i was just wondering
    thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by DDRFREAK1030@29 November 2003 - 17:00
    ok, you know how when you right click the properties of dive c, there is an optiion that says

is this a good thing. i am wondering because i have many roms and i have stepmania on my computer and that took up a lot of space.

i wouldn't recommand this at all, especially on c drive, where all the applications and os run on...

if you want more space on c, allocate more space from other partitions if you have created more than 1 partition on ur physical drive.

the best way to go

also clear any unused programs, clean out recycle bin, delete temp files, temp internet files might help you a bit

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by DDRFREAK1030@30 November 2003 - 01:00

You put your unimportant files or programs in CDSpace software. That thing you can compress all.