Thread: Keyboard Mapping Problem

Apart from my laptop going FUBAR recently, i have other few problems and would appreciate if someone could help me out. I left my laptop alone with neice one day and apparantly she might have pressed some combination of keys that the mapping for the keyboard has changed. It hasnt changed for all keys but only for few.
    Like instead of printing O when i press O it displays 6, and similarly other numbers and signs for some other characters.
    I have a laptop (Inspiron 4000) with win xp pro.
    This is what i have done so far to find out.
    I checked the regional settings (Changed and put it back to default (English US))
    This has nothing to do with character map so thats fine.
    I checked the Dell forum for this problem couldnt find and couldnt find in their knowledge based articles or FAQ's.

If any of you guys have ever faced a problem like this, I would appreciate if you could help me out.

I even went as far as reinstalling winxp pro although there was no need but you know the logic ends when things go too wrong.
    Luckily, the characters of my password didnt change so i could log into windows

So guys help me out here.
    Thanks much
    I.am

ps: I wasn't sure whether this belongs to Software World or Hardware so i posted in Hardware as it looked more appropriate.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    come on guys need some help here
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    have u checked all the options in the regional applet in control panel, and also maybe accesability options aswell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks for replying Livy. Yup I had done that already.

But the problem is fixed now. It seems there is one hidden key to fix it which is (Fn + F11). I had to update my bios to get that working and it works now. B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What is the "Fn" key?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by clocker@30 November 2003 - 19:25
    What is the "Fn" key?
    On Dell Laptops, Inspiron/Lattitudes they have a Fn key (Function key) to access some functions. Combination of that and certain other keys perform certain functions. Normally its indicated on the combination keys but in my case in F11 it doesnt have.

For your entertainment,

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Oh.
    Thanks.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    alot of keyboards have it, and most laptops use them,