Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod's 'dirty Secret'

iPod's 'dirty secret' wins Web fans

Two filmmakers are getting attention around the Net for an "antiadvertising" project aimed at protesting what they call the "dirty secret" of the iPod music player--its battery life.

Brothers Casey and Van Neistat, who collaborate on video projects using Mac editing software, said they were told by a technical support representative at Apple Computer that the cost to replace the dead battery in an 18-month-old iPod would be $255--comparable to the cost of a new device. Irked at what seemed to be the early obsolescence of the music player, the brothers trekked around New York City stenciling the words "iPod's unreplaceable battery lasts only 18 months" on all the iPod posters they could find.

Now the Neistats claim that the video they created of their exploits is getting 50,000 hits a day on the Web site Ipodsdirtysecret.com. As of Wednesday afternoon, the site's traffic counter indicated it had seen more than 194,000 visitors.

As it turns out, it's possible to replace the battery for as little as $49 using third-party kits. Apple itself offers a battery-replacement service for about $106 including mailing, with a 90-day guarantee on materials and workmanship. Apple's program was introduced only in the past two weeks.

Other iPod users have reported that the device's battery life diminishes with use, as is common for many rechargeable batteries. Unlike standard disposable batteries, the rechargeable power supplies used in the iPod and other high-tech gadgets do not come in a standard design. Replacing the battery involves a tricky process of dismantling the gadget, but third parties offer this service for around $70.

More information on the iPod Battery Replacement Program is available from Apple's technical support Web site.

SOURCE

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    First we find out that the Itunes money goes straight to the RIAA and now we find out about the Ipod. Man Apple is just a bunch of dirty bastards too.

Thats why I bought an Archos Jukebox. Cheaper then an Ipod and you get pretty much all the same features. B)

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Exactly arm i have the 20 gig archos jukebox that also has fm radio which you can record from straight to mp3. Next time i'm in lower manhattan i'll be looking to see what these guys did to these poster.

Damn it can't download the movie which ironically seems to need to be played in quicktime an apple product, though that's understandable since mov's are small.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by slick nick@30 November 2003 - 13:26
    Exactly arm i have the 20 gig archos jukebox that also has fm radio which you can record from straight to mp3.
    Arm got only the 15 gig one that has no FM radio. But since I can hold 15 gigabyte of mp3s I probably wont be wanting to listen to the radio anyway. What a useless feature.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by slick nick@30 November 2003 - 08:26
    Exactly arm i have the 20 gig archos jukebox that also has fm radio which you can record from straight to mp3. Next time i'm in lower manhattan i'll be looking to see what these guys did to these poster.

Damn it can't download the movie which ironically seems to need to be played in quicktime an apple product, though that's understandable since mov's are small.
    i got the 20 gig archos mp3 video recorder, do archos mp3 players batteries die out too

proud to be american

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    I have an IRiver, which doesnt have rechargable batteries, it takes 1 AA battery, and it lasts like 22 hours. It can hold 128 MB of music.

EDIT: it also has FM radio which I can record also.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Holy hell, I'd just figured they ran off of AA batteries. Not that I'll ever use a Mac, but if I was this would definitly put me off of iPods.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by DasScoot@2 December 2003 - 05:08
    Not that I'll ever use a Mac
    Stupid pc fanboy.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Ill stick with my Nomad 20gb zen NX... screw apple.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by Arm@30 November 2003 - 14:34
    I probably wont be wanting to listen to the radio anyway. What a useless feature.
    hardy har har.

Jay i never heard of their batteries dying out yet. you may wanna email the though about it or call. it's been smooth sailing all along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast