Thread: Compression Question

From a forum:

1700 Adobe Type Plugins
    http://www.1700Plugins.ace
    File size is 2mb compressed. 101 mb uncompressed
    How is that posibille? I have that plugin pack and is real.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    sh all i can say is that those plugins compress very very very very well (sorry about the excessive use the the word very, but the is the truth&#33

ive got those plugins (thanks to you )

i compressed them using the 7z format, using the ultra compression type and they compressed to a measly 718kb!

Edit: there actually 103 MB (108,169,400 bytes) uncompressed!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    This is a small section of one of those filters. The blank spaces might explain it, compress all that and you'd gain quite a bit.

Sharedholder, look at the red text

t o r y . 8 B F    @   P r o d u c t N a m e    A d o b e  P h o t o s h o p  .   P r o d u c t V e r s i o n  3 . 0 0    D   V a r F i l e I n f o    $   T r a n s l a t i o n      ä        MIB8dnik      MFB8MIB8eman    $  Add Four Ways...                  MIB8gtac    $  Andrew's Filters 26                MIB8srev         MIB8ytrp          MIB8edom        MIB8tsoh      MIB8MIB868xw        ENTRYPOINT1 MIB8icif         

h            Ü  Ï  ž  ˆ                                          Andrew's Filters 26                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Add Four Ways...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Freeware ©1994 Adobe Systems, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved.                                                     
                                                                                                                                                    AB                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Map 0:                                                                                                                          D:                                                                                                                              Map 1:                                                                                                                          D:                                                                                                                              Map 2:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Map 3:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Factor 1 :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Factor 2 :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Factor 3 :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Factor

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    What is it compressed with Balamm?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    It was just done with winrace originally. I repacked it with winrar to make it work with my host. Ace files display as text when you try to download from this server.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Thanks Balamm for the info. :beerchug:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Forum Star
    They also compress very well because all those files contain parts that are the same.

If you take a textfile and fill it with just the letter 'a' until it is 1 GB and then compress it, then it will only be a couple of bytes.