Thread: Simple Question..

I currently want to change virus scanner software, from Mcafee to Norton. Should i uninstall McAfee first then install Norton, or install Norton then uninstall McAfee?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    unistall Mcafee first then install norton.

i say get avg though, as it has better virus detection for me and most people i know

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Kunal@29 November 2003 - 22:34
    unistall Mcafee first then install norton.

i say get avg though, as it has better virus detection for me and most people i know
    How many viri do you detect between you all? What the hell are you all downloading?

From what i've read in lab tests, Norton AV performs better than AVG, but takes up more resources. Also that AVG is free, but that isn't really a factor here.

Whenever people here shout about how crap Norton AV is, it's usually because they want to sound leet and cutting edge. If AVG was the leading AV, the same people would be shouting how great Norton is.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    @ LTJ, my mates love getting virus

they dont take proper preceautions etc and download cracks etc from kazaa

then after a while they scan with norton, it says theres nothing there, yet i suspect something, so i tell them to unistall norton and get avg, it finds 3-4 virus

i now use nod32 (but thats not the point here, isit?)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@29 November 2003 - 17:49
    ...Whenever people here shout about how crap Norton AV is, it's usually because they want to sound leet and cutting edge. If AVG was the leading AV, the same people would be shouting how great Norton is...
    Agreed. No one likes the top dog.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Supernatural@29 November 2003 - 23:56
    Agreed. No one likes the top dog.
    noone likes nod32

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2
    I have had plenty of friends get shit with norton, they scanned constantly and had all the newest updates, but norton let them down, one even had to get a new HD cause the virus destroyed the HD so yes norton sucks, I recommend anything but semantic products
    I use avg personally and have yet to get violated

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    one even had to get a new HD cause the virus destroyed the HD

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Im using McAfee 7.0 Pro, my mom bought it when my computer was acting funny, but it never found any viruses, it was all the spyware from KMD (before I knew about kazaa lite). It supposed to take up a lot of resources, but the only difference I see is a slower scanning speed in Spybot, but disabling the system scanning before using Spybot helps.

This guy on these other fourms tests out AV's by filling his comp with viruses and scans, Norton found 85%, AVG-64%, McAfee-100%, PC-Cillian-100%, but these tests were from eariler this year.