Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Configuring Router

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+29 November 2003 - 20:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 29 November 2003 - 20:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@30 November 2003 - 01:46
    i just did this, and i couldn&#39;t browse any website at all. did i do something wrong?
    then how&#39;d you get into this forum? [/b][/quote]
    i switched back to dynamic to get back online

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    were you still able to access the router configuration, after setting the PC&#39;s IP? the change might not work right away... you might need to reboot or at least disable then enable the ethernet connection under Windows, before it can acquire the new IP.

like i said, you should leave the router itself set for dynamic IP. it&#39;s just the PC that needs a manual IP.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@29 November 2003 - 20:56
    were you still able to access the router configuration, after setting the PC&#39;s IP? the change might not work right away... you might need to reboot or at least disable then enable the ethernet connection under Windows, before it can acquire the new IP.

like i said, you should leave the router itself set for dynamic IP. it&#39;s just the PC that needs a manual IP.
    my ip in the status window starts with: 12.250.#.#

is that rite?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@29 November 2003 - 20:56

no. i tried to get in, and it said #.#.#.100 is logged in

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    your PC&#39;s IP starts with 12.250? that doesn&#39;t sound right. the standard LAN IP starts with 192.168 because there are no internet sites that use that address-- it&#39;s reserved for LANs.

but this is prolly the easiest way-- just let your PC get a dynamic LAN IP from the router. then check the status, copy down all the numbers (IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway), and then enter them manually exactly as they already are. if it works now, you may as well just keep that address.

then boot up your other computers and do the same with them. just make sure the final number of each PC&#39;s IP is different.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@29 November 2003 - 20:22
    the router can use a dynamic IP, so you can go ahead and set the router as dynamic. in order to do port forwarding, you have to set the PC&#39;s ethernet card (in Windows, under Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol -> Properties) to use a static LAN IP so it will have the same LAN address every time it boots up-- port forwarding will not work without this, because the router has to know which computer to forward the ports to.

the router&#39;s manual should tell you what LAN IPs and subnet mask you can use. the first three numbers will be the same on all of your PCs (like 192.168.0.____ or 192.168.254.____)... and then you just fill in the fourth number with whatever you want, like 1 or 2 or 3, but each PC has to use a different one. the subnet mask will probably be something like 255.255.255.0. you can look at your PC&#39;s LAN IP first, and see what kind of address the router was automatically assigning to it, then use that as a guideline. the main goal is just to make sure that the PC gets the same LAN IP every single time, instead of letting the router assign a random one.

the router config may require you to add an entry somewhere for each PC, after you set their LAN IPs, so that you can select them as the "owner" of the ports.

when i do all this in properities, and i restart my pc, no websites get loaded up.

in the status page of the config, i get a wan ip and wan gateway and stuff. do i use that? i know wan is wide area network. does that apply to my at all? and it starts with 12.#.#.# etc. i&#39;m guessing that&#39;s not wat i&#39;m supposed to put into the network settings from control panel.

god i&#39;m so confused

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17

here&#39;s wat my status window looks like, but with # in each of the boxes. the IP Address and Gateway all start with 12. and #.#.#

is that wrong?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    and also, this thing is enabled:

it says in the manual:

DHCP Server: You are given two options: Disable and Enable.
    Range of IP Address Pool: Whenever there is a request, the DHCP server will automatically allocate an unused IP address from the IP address pool to the requesting computer. You can specify the starting and ending address of the IP address pool.
    Domain Name: This information is passed on to the LAN client.
    does that have anything to do with this?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    yeah the PCs shouldn&#39;t be concerned with the WAN IP, when you use a router.

sorry, i&#39;m prolly not explaining this totally clearly. different routers all have slightly different ways of doing things, so it&#39;s kind of hard to give 100% correct advice without owning that model.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@29 November 2003 - 21:20
    your PC&#39;s IP starts with 12.250? that doesn&#39;t sound right. the standard LAN IP starts with 192.168 because there are no internet sites that use that address-- it&#39;s reserved for LANs.

but this is prolly the easiest way-- just let your PC get a dynamic LAN IP from the router. then check the status, copy down all the numbers (IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway), and then enter them manually exactly as they already are. if it works now, you may as well just keep that address.

then boot up your other computers and do the same with them. just make sure the final number of each PC&#39;s IP is different.
    and btw, i only have 1 pc connected to the router rite now. will that affect anything?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast