Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Configuring Router

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    ok, i got a us robotics router. now, i go into the config thing, and into virtual server. in the instructions on their site, it says:

Port forwarding sets up public services on your network. When Internet users make requests to a specific port in your network, the Broadband Router will forward those requests to the appropriate computer. The computer must be configured to a static IP address to use port forwarding. Port forwarding is generally used to set up a Web server, ftp server, or e-mail server on your network. Some well-known services are included in a pre-defined list.
    do i have to use static ip? cuz i'm not sure if comcast is static or dynamic. now, i do this:

To add a server using Forwarding, perform the following steps:

Enter the port number and the IP Address of the server that you want to allow Internet users to access.
    Configure as many entries as you want until all the entries are filled in.
    Click Save in order to save the settings.

For example, if you have an FTP server (port 21) at 192.168.123.1, a Web server (port 80) at 192.168.123.2, and a PPTP VPN server at 192.168.123.6, you need to specify the following virtual server mapping table:
    and i have 6881-6999 in the Service Ports and Server IP is my router's ip. i go into bt, and it still in yellow. anyone wanna help here?

and btw, where do i get a firmware upgrade for this router?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    When they "static IP", they mean static on your LAN. Like, your web server will always have the IP address 192.168.0.5 on your LAN.

Not sure about the rest...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@29 November 2003 - 18:03
    When they "static IP", they mean static on your LAN. Like, your web server will always have the IP address 192.168.0.5 on your LAN.

in primary setup, u can change ur ip from dynamic ip to static ip. do i stick with dynamic or static?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+29 November 2003 - 18:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 29 November 2003 - 18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cl1mh4224rd@29 November 2003 - 18:03

in primary setup, u can change ur ip from dynamic ip to static ip. do i stick with dynamic or static? [/b][/quote]
    a little help on this please?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can&#39;t anyone help? clocker? lynx? people? anyone? i need this router to work. now that i have a router, i want the protection, and the bt usage

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    the router can use a dynamic IP, so you can go ahead and set the router as dynamic. in order to do port forwarding, you have to set the PC&#39;s ethernet card (in Windows, under Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol -> Properties) to use a static LAN IP so it will have the same LAN address every time it boots up-- port forwarding will not work without this, because the router has to know which computer to forward the ports to.

the router&#39;s manual should tell you what LAN IPs and subnet mask you can use. the first three numbers will be the same on all of your PCs (like 192.168.0.____ or 192.168.254.____)... and then you just fill in the fourth number with whatever you want, like 1 or 2 or 3, but each PC has to use a different one. the subnet mask will probably be something like 255.255.255.0. you can look at your PC&#39;s LAN IP first, and see what kind of address the router was automatically assigning to it, then use that as a guideline. the main goal is just to make sure that the PC gets the same LAN IP every single time, instead of letting the router assign a random one.

the router config may require you to add an entry somewhere for each PC, after you set their LAN IPs, so that you can select them as the "owner" of the ports.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@29 November 2003 - 20:22
    the router can use a dynamic IP, so you can go ahead and set the router as dynamic. in order to do port forwarding, you have to set the PC&#39;s ethernet card (in Windows, under Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol -> Properties) to use a static LAN IP so it will have the same LAN address every time it boots up-- port forwarding will not work without this, because the router has to know which computer to forward the ports to.

the router&#39;s manual should tell you what LAN IPs and subnet mask you can use. the first three numbers will be the same on all of your PCs (like 192.168.0.____ or 192.168.254.____)... and then you just fill in the fourth number with whatever you want, like 1 or 2 or 3, but each PC has to use a different one. the subnet mask will probably be something like 255.255.255.0. you can look at your PC&#39;s LAN IP first, and see what kind of address the router was automatically assigning to it, then use that as a guideline. the main goal is just to make sure that the PC gets the same LAN IP every single time, instead of letting the router assign a random one.

the router config may require you to add an entry somewhere for each PC, after you set their LAN IPs, so that you can select them as the "owner" of the ports.
    thanks a lot man. now, what do i put for default gateway?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    the default gateway is the router&#39;s LAN IP. it&#39;s whatever address you typed into your browser to access the router config.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i just did this, and i couldn&#39;t browse any website at all. did i do something wrong?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@30 November 2003 - 01:46
    i just did this, and i couldn&#39;t browse any website at all. did i do something wrong?
    then how&#39;d you get into this forum?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast