Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Famous Indian Authors...

chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by UKMan+30 November 2003 - 01:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan @ 30 November 2003 - 01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by chalice@30 November 2003 - 02:10
    Originally posted by UKMan@30 November 2003 - 01:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-chalice
    @30 November 2003 - 02:02
    Salman Rushdie springs immediately to mind. I do rate him as a great Indian author. Though, some would argue this, I specify his prose and not his politics.

Quite a few million would argue i guess

Perhaps, UKman, but I refer really to Midnight&#39;s Children which is a work worthy of any 20th century novelist and quite on topic. It deals with, as I&#39;m sure you&#39;re aware, Indian independence and heritage and worth reading for the pure richness of culture spawned during and after and Raj.
    I have that book [/b][/quote]
    Well, go and read it, ya bum&#33;&#33;

2. Lounge   -   #12
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    You made me search for it amongst my dusty shelves

3. Lounge   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Check anything by Dinesh D&#39;Souza.

I don&#39;t know that he&#39;s written about India, though-definitely worth a look to see if he has.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #14
    BANNED
    Originally posted by chalice@30 November 2003 - 10:28
    Perhaps, UKman, but I refer really to Midnight&#39;s Children which is a work worthy of any 20th century novelist and quite on topic.

I read it in India, which made it very real, a great book. At the same time I read "Freedom at Midnight" and "The Raj Quartet" can&#39;t recall who by tho.

As for the topic; a good place to start would be with Jawaharlal Nehru, India&#39;s first prime minister, and the father of Indira Ghandi, another good source of information.

Nehru

PS: I like your sig, don&#39;t ever change it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12