Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famous Indian Authors...

mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    I&#39;m writing an essay countering Thomas Macaulay&#39;s ideas about how India should be developed, and I need some indian intellectuals to use as examples. If anyone could point me in the right direction, for as the ignorant american i am, i really havn&#39;t a clue about who to look for. Thanks.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    The term "intellectuals" confuses me, why post here then?

Good luck anyway

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    I feel your sig may reduce your potential sources of information.

However that is really a matter for you.

Good luck with the essay btw.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Salman Rushdie springs immediately to mind. I do rate him as a great Indian author. Though, some would argue this, I specify his prose and not his politics.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by chalice@30 November 2003 - 02:02
    Salman Rushdie springs immediately to mind. I do rate him as a great Indian author. Though, some would argue this, I specify his prose and not his politics.
    Quite a few million would argue i guess

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Originally posted by chalice@29 November 2003 - 20:02
    thanks, i just need some examples. As for why I am posting it, I knew i would get a bunch of replies quickly, as I see now. I realize my sig is probably a turn off for many, but atleast I hope there are some that can ignore it.. im not talking about ukman and jpaul.. just wanted some info.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    i hate to be picky.. but he was born at the end of british rule.. i was looking more for someone who lived in the 19th or early 20th century, or earlier, perhaps even thousands of years ago.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by UKMan+30 November 2003 - 01:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan &#064; 30 November 2003 - 01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@30 November 2003 - 02:02
    Quite a few million would argue i guess [/b][/quote]
    Perhaps, UKman, but I refer really to Midnight&#39;s Children which is a work worthy of any 20th century novelist and quite on topic. It deals with, as I&#39;m sure you&#39;re aware, Indian independence and heritage and worth reading for the pure richness of culture spawned during and after the Raj.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Except maybe for Clocker and JP, I am nearest your age requirements but I have never authorised anything of note. Sorry.

I did work once for an engineering firm. Though I did not understand why jewellry was not the end product.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by chalice+30 November 2003 - 02:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice @ 30 November 2003 - 02:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by UKMan@30 November 2003 - 01:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-chalice
    @30 November 2003 - 02:02

Quite a few million would argue i guess
    Perhaps, UKman, but I refer really to Midnight&#39;s Children which is a work worthy of any 20th century novelist and quite on topic. It deals with, as I&#39;m sure you&#39;re aware, Indian independence and heritage and worth reading for the pure richness of culture spawned during and after and Raj. [/b][/quote]
    I have that book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast