Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working

Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 November 2003 - 03:40
    well....the thing is that i'm willing to work ANYWHERE EXCEPT for fast food restaurants.....last summer, i got 3 interviews and 2 phone call rejections and a rejection letter from a security place i tried to get into.. but yeah, they all seemed to ask the same type of questions... 1) why do you want to work here, why here? 2) what good do you think you'd bring to our sompany 3) if you were in "so and so" situation, how would you handle it? and i always blank out and get stumped by these questions.......like for the first question, can i simply say, that "i need a job so that i can pay off my school bills", i mean, is that exceptable..? actually the thing is that getting an interview is an achievement, but before that, just going from filling out an application and turning one in to get an interview, is that just out of luck, or is there some method of getting into it?
    I wouldn't think it's a good idea to say you want the job just so you can pay off your school bills; you will need to say how you can benefit the company by working there, not just how working there will benefit yourself.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Try security. If you get nightshift you can study while working.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    okay, so what can i say to talk about benifiting the company, i don't have much of any skills, and yeah, i can drive, but i normally take the bus cuz i dont' know roads that well....but yeah.....getting an interview, how can i increase my chances of that if there's like 100 people turning an app in ? is it all luck?

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 November 2003 - 16:25
    okay, so what can i say to talk about benifiting the company, i don't have much of any skills, and yeah, i can drive, but i normally take the bus cuz i dont' know roads that well....but yeah.....getting an interview, how can i increase my chances of that if there's like 100 people turning an app in ? is it all luck?
    go and become a courier, doing deliveries, they are always taking in contractors(drivers), if you are sharp you can make 2000$ a month driving, it takes 10 minutes to learn how to read a map, after that be sharp and you will be good to go within a month or so

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Whenever I've found myself unemployed I've done voluntary work. You only have to do maybe a couple of hours week but to a prospective employer you will look like someone who wants to workand isn't just motivated by money.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I had a job last year working at Index (the catalog shop). At the interview they asked me dumb questions like "When was the last time you contributed to a team effort" and so on. I just gave them a load of bullshit, told them what they wanted to hear. I also lied about my qualifications, they never checked them.

Instead of trying to think of answers involving you're past experiances, just make stuff up instead

7. Lounge   -   #17
    do you guys have an examples of what to say? with these job openings, do you guys to go all over the place and apply, or do you do the online thing now? cuz i don't know any "courier" places around here, .actually, there's probably a lot of places that have jobs that i don't know about because i don't even know that they exist, is there a way to search for all this shit online?

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Do you have a local newspaper? that's probably the best place to look.

Edit: also, try going into places and actually asking if they're hiring and if you can have an aplication form. It shows good initiative.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    just say your an honest hard worker, with the skills to drive the company further, just bullshit a bit

10. Lounge   -   #20
    newspaper,.....no i don't get it.....what section would that be under anyways? classified? anyways, yeah..like yesterday, i went to a local mall and turn in like 15 applications.......they always say that they'll call back in two weeks or whatever, but i never get any calls......oh yeah, like, if you have an answer machine, and they call in and you don't pick up......do they usually leave a message about that shit, or do they just end up skipping you and calling someone else for the job? i don't want to havE to wait around my phone 24-7 all the time........

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast