Thread: Anyone With Personal Experience Converting .m4b To .mp3 Files By Chapter?

DigDawg's Avatar FST Crew
    I've been listening to an .m4b audiobook with VLC on my computer and it works beautifully with chapter-points in place for navigation, but when I wanted to listen in my car using Android VLC player I realize now it does NOT have chapter-advance buttons within the single file - only has the slider for the full 13 hours of dialogue which jumps around about an hour at a time . The buttons on Android VLC only work as a file skip (forward/back) navigation, so I figure I can make mp3 chapter-files which will work much better with the slider since it will be parsing down to minutes at a time.

Has anyone successfully converted an .m4b to multiple mp3 chapter-files?

Or is there a separate player app that is Android Auto compatible that will play these .m4b files with preserved chapter navigation?

I drive a lot and listen to audio books to make it tolerable, but often want to go back a few minutes and re-listen when I don't understand certain parts (I have hearing imbalance due to 50% hearing loss in left ear) and this large single file makes that nearly impossible.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
    "So this is how liberty dies: With thunderous applause."

2. Music   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by DigDawg View Post
    Or is there a separate player app that is Android Auto compatible that will play these .m4b files with preserved chapter navigation?
    I found this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.listen
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Music   -   #3
    That looks perfect! Thanks, anon!

4. Music   -   #4
    Been using that app for a few days - works beautifully. Thanks again for the info!

5. Music   -   #5
    I'd never heard of it or even the M4B format before, so lucky find for both of us I guess
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."