Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drives

since getting broadband a while ago, i've noticed a strange phenomena of my hard drive space disappearing rather quickly
    i thought buying an extra 120GB internal drive would solve this problem, but alas, a few months down the road, i'm there again
    i was talking to spider the other day on soulseek about external hard drives and wanted to know what the rest of the members opinions and/or experiences on external hard drives are.
    this is the model i'm currently thinking of, it seems pretty good and very spacious.
    i'd be using it in the usb2.0 configuration, though i do have firewire capability

thanks in advance for any replies
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    why not buy another internal drive? if u already have another smaller drive swap it with a bigger one.

also if u have SATA can u not have 3 drives? on on SATA and 2 on ide?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Livy@30 November 2003 - 22:15
    why not buy another internal drive? if u already have another smaller drive swap it with a bigger one.

also if u have SATA can u not have 3 drives? on on SATA and 2 on ide?
    well, i could change my 80 gig internal for a 120 gig internal (but i don&#39;t want to pay 100 quid again to end up with only 40 gig more space)

i could go s-ata but i don&#39;t have a lot of room left in the case (and the heat might get too much inside)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    would the performance of the S-ata not be better if u used it as your main drive, and it will free up you current system drive, and im sure u wouldnt have any probs selling the 80gb, up until a little while ago i only had a 20gb and a 4gb in my pc. and i now changed the 20 for an 80 only cause it broke

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Livy@30 November 2003 - 22:20
    would the performance of the S-ata not be better if u used it as your main drive, and it will free up you current system drive, and im sure u wouldnt have any probs selling the 80gb, up until a little while ago i only had a 20gb and a 4gb in my pc. and i now changed the 20 for an 80 only cause it broke
    yeah, a s-ata main drive would give better performance than my current main drive, though i don&#39;t really play enough games to sacrifice space for performance.
    my secondary drive is fast enough anyway (120GB 8MB cache Western Digital)
    i&#39;m basically just looking for a lot of relatively cheap space with the least amount of bother involved

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I like external...you can unplug them and take them too a friend without having to open up ur case and all that shit&#33; Niceee
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    another idea would be, buy another internal drive, buy another 120gig internal drive, swap it with your current 80gb, and buy a usb 3.5" enclosure for it. see what that would be for price compared to the usb drive itself

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Livy@30 November 2003 - 22:31
    another idea would be, buy another internal drive, buy another 120gig internal drive, swap it with your current 80gb, and buy a usb 3.5" enclosure for it. see what that would be for price compared to the usb drive itself
    yeah, i had considered doing this, but i&#39;m worried about the heat as much as the space issues

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+30 November 2003 - 23:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob &#064; 30 November 2003 - 23:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@30 November 2003 - 22:31
    yeah, i had considered doing this, but i&#39;m worried about the heat as much as the space issues [/b][/quote]
    the heat should be any more of an issue as it is now, as you are only swapping the 2 drives, so the heat so basically be the same. it may be worth looking into as it will be cheaper, keeps your 2 main drives inside, and use the 3rd as the overflow and taking to mates as already pointed out, and its easy to change the drive in it if anything does happen

edit: the only problem may be gettign the enclosure, as they seem quite rare ish.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Livy@30 November 2003 - 22:46
    the heat should be any more of an issue as it is now, as you are only swapping the 2 drives, so the heat so basically be the same. it may be worth looking into as it will be cheaper, keeps your 2 main drives inside, and use the 3rd as the overflow and taking to mates as already pointed out, and its easy to change the drive in it if anything does happen

edit: the only problem may be gettign the enclosure, as they seem quite rare ish.
    is there any problems with the transfer rates on a usb caddy?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast