Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Blazing Fury From Hell

lynx's Avatar .
    Glad you've solved the problem, GCN.

I would have thought clocker or VB might have spotted the problem earlier.

Ambient temp 39C - I assume that's inside the case - a clear indication that you needed more airflow through the case, particularly around the graphics card.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by lynx@2 December 2003 - 07:08

Ambient temp 39C - I assume that's inside the case - a clear indication that you needed more airflow through the case, particularly around the graphics card.
    The numbers still don't make sense, lynx.

Look at his first post, he's claiming a max temp for his CPU of 38C.

1degC below ambient case temp? Hmmm...

Even with a valid reading of 39C, a rise of 45 degrees under load seems wrong.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    lynx's Avatar .
    On the contrary, I think it is highly indicative of poor airflow through the case. Obviously the "ambient" temp is from another sensor on the graphics card.

If you consider that high temps on graphics cards are a fairly recent phenomenon, case designers have not had to worry too much about cooling anything other than the cpu. So if all the available airflow has been cooling the cpu, air around the graphics card could well be static, or recirculating around the card. Consequently the ambient temps for the graphics card and the cpu are not necessarily the same.

This would allow the cpu to stay cool while causing the ambient temp of the graphics card to be relatively high. Once the graphics card is put under heavy load the situation would get even worse, resulting in the high temps he has seen - even though the graphics cooler looks as if it is working.

A small amount of additional airflow to the graphics card would have a dramatic effect on this situation, which is exactly the observed effect.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I am not trying to be obstinant here, just trying to grasp the mechanics.

How far from your CPU/HSF is the vid card? In my case it is 2 3/4", but I have a very large heatsink, so, to be fair, let's say 31/2" would be about typical.

I removed my side panel and placed a Tensor quartz halogen lamp about where the video card is (actually further away as the card is still in place) and turned it on.
    Halogen lights get quite hot, although not as hot as what we are being told his video card is getting.
    After approx. 5 minutes the CPU temp began to rise as did the motherboard temp.
    They topped out about 5-6 degrees warmer than my typical temps.

My point with all this monkeying around is that I don't see how it is possible to maintain CPU temps in the high 30's with a blazing heatsource just inches away.
    Especially if the case airflow is as bad as you imagine. As the videocard is below the HSF, all of that heat should be rising up and seriously affecting the CPU temps.

All of this is moot of course, you and I will never see the PC in question.
    I was simply intrigued by the problem and am confused about the solution.
    I wish one of my 80mm case fans made as much difference as it apparently did here....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    GCNaddict's Avatar Poster
    the ambient temp. sensor is on thetop right corner of the card (the VERY top right corner). in my case, this happens to be a dead air pocket

the fan also has a built in sensor, and qith the current settings, is VERY quiet (only 1000 rpm) and does a very nice job

as usual, it is a coolermaster case fan

want to be specific? its an aero blower

my friend cut identical parts from both case windows, and added aero blowers to both sides

as you know, aero blowers are rather bulky, and the way my friend installed them, they stick roght out of the case.

the aero blower is generally used as a cpu fan, but in this case, works as a case fan AND make my sff pc look more like a jet!

both fans are intake fans, which also adds airflow over my cpu, which also dropped my core temps

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    GCNaddict's Avatar Poster
    oh yes, and i upgraded the psu from 150 to 220 (220 is the best microatx psu ive seen which fits my case)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    lynx's Avatar .
    I agree, it does seem rather odd.

My point about airflow was that it appeared to be poor in the area of the graphics card but not for the cpu. I've seen some where cooling for the cpu is ducted directly from outside the case, then rises and is expelled by the psu fan.

If this is the situation then any heat from other sources would be blown away from the cpu, and air entering the case by this method could be matching the air extracted by the psu fan, leaving virtually no airflow in any other part of the case.

Adding a small fan would have the effect of increasing the pressure inside the case so the exhaust would be increased without materially affecting airflow to the cpu. The effect when going from near zero airflow would be tremendous.

As you say, all this is moot unless we get more info from GCN, preferably with pictures.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456