Thread: Mandrake 9.2

Poster
    How f*ckin wonderfull!!

PCLinuxOnline reports that the fault with Mandrake Linux 9.2 and LG drives has been found

Apparently, it's due to the buggy behavior of those CD-ROM drives. The command UPLOAD_FIRMWARE reuses the command FLUSH_CACHE. As you can imagine then, the result is a fried drive. 

Mandrake 9.2 and LG-based CD-ROM drives

There are issues with Mandrake Linux 9.2 and LG-based CD-ROM drives

From the Mandrake Linux 9.2 errata page:

Error scenario: Installing 9.2 and being told unable to install the base system and subsequent reboot reveals that CD-ROM drive is physically dead.

Why: According to LG Electronics, their ODD (Optical Disc Drive) products do not support Linux nor do they test with Linux. Unfortunately, many Dell computers (possibly others) come with these CD-ROM drives.

Solution: Currently there is no solution or work-around for this issue; it is still under investigation. Damage occurs even when doing a network install. At this point, please do not install Mandrake Linux 9.2 on any computer containing a LG-based CD-ROM drive or it will damage your CD-ROM drive! We are actively looking for a solution to this problem.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    this was fixed a while ago wasnt it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I didn't see any fix in the articles or comments I saw. This is the first I heard of it although I don't read all the bugtrack reports I get. Guess I better start

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Something that serious wont be left unfixed for long.

Btw, you have a dell?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Well, all that tells me is to not use the Mandrake distribution. Use another.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@1 December 2003 - 09:01
    Well, all that tells me is to not use the Mandrake distribution. Use another.
    Well I dont have one of thoose cd rom drives so it doesnt apply to me.

However, I agree that if it did I would use another distro of course. But mandrake is an ok distribution but not the best. Its better for people that are new to linux and require a more user friendly system.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    ummm.. no, I don't have a dell. LG is a big seller here, dirt cheap and fairly reliable.
    I have at least 2 of these drives in use now.

@ Virtualbody1234, It's not Mandrake's fault that these drives are designed incorrectly, although an effort should have been made to identify the potential problems earlier, and a warning issued to not install it on those systems with LG CD roms.
    I haven't installed 9.2 yet but I quite liked 9.1
    With a little more automation and clearer help files, this OS could easily rival XP pro for user friendliness.
    I'm sure it's networking capabilities are far beyond that of XP, no huge extra downloads needed to make it work in most cases either.

The installed software sure as hell beats anything MS offers.