Thread: Hassel Free Linux

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    it appears mandrake have released a new distro that will boot straight off a cd. this means no partitioning, boot loaders or other hassels including with trying to install linux.

mandrake move would be ideal for any user who wants to try linux to have a bit of a play with it before they decide to dive in completely.

knoppix is also an easy to use no install version.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4play@1 December 2003 - 16:43
    it appears mandrake have released a new distro that will boot straight off a cd. this means no partitioning, boot loaders or other hassels including with trying to install linux.

mandrake move would be ideal for any user who wants to try linux to have a bit of a play with it before they decide to dive in completely.

knoppix is also an easy to use no install version.
    Good one sh.

Wonder if it will be as good as knoppix. Actually knoppix is ok, I wouldnt say its the greatest distro but its damn sure convenient seeing as how no install is required.

Its also good to still have a swap partition reserved on the system just because some programs can take longer to run with thoose linux live cd distros. Having some extra swap space speeds it up a little.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I don't see a lot of difference between mandrake 9.1 and knoppix at all other than the inability to write to a file in knoppix. I guess if I created an ext partition I could write to that and remove mandrake completely ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by balamm@1 December 2003 - 20:26
    I don't see a lot of difference between mandrake 9.1 and knoppix at all other than the inability to write to a file in knoppix. I guess if I created an ext partition I could write to that and remove mandrake completely ?
    Yeah you could.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    this could use a fat32 drive as a swap drive right

i wanna test this out on one of my old machines with a small fat32 hdd and i know linux can mount fat32 no problem so i bet these can as well.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4play@1 December 2003 - 20:49
    this could use a fat32 drive as a swap drive right

i wanna test this out on one of my old machines with a small fat32 hdd and i know linux can mount fat32 no problem so i bet these can as well.
    yeah it said to use a dos or fat32 partition for the swap.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I played around with Mandrake Move for a little while, earlier. Its actually pretty cool and very easy to use. Perfect for linux noobs to get a taste of the action.