Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Immigration

Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@2 December 2003 - 02:31
    why do u guys assume immigrants only do lowly jobs?

they are human being also and here in canada they are treated with respect. a lot of them work in the high tech industry and computers and medical fields and all kinds of jobs.

it's the ppl power that counts and makes a country strong
    Some immigrants work, and are useful members of society, but most don't work, and live off benefits. to give an example, one immigrant, who's application has been unsuccessful, lives in, or runs a mosque somewhere in London, has a wife and eight children. he is recieving benefits of around £1000.00 per week. he will, and has been appealing against the decision as long as he can. multiply this situation by about 250.000, because they all have large families, and you might see what i mean. England is a very small country compared with America and Canada. We are getting overrun and i'm pissed off with it
    Man U fer eva

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by billyfridge+2 December 2003 - 03:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (billyfridge @ 2 December 2003 - 03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@2 December 2003 - 02:31

they are human being also and here in canada they are treated with respect. a lot of them work in the high tech industry and computers and medical fields and all kinds of jobs.

it&#39;s the ppl power that counts and makes a country strong
    Some immigrants work, and are useful members of society, but most don&#39;t work, and live off benefits. to give an example, one immigrant, who&#39;s application has been unsuccessful, lives in, or runs a mosque somewhere in London, has a wife and eight children. he is recieving benefits of around £1000.00 per week. he will, and has been appealing against the decision as long as he can. multiply this situation by about 250.000, because they all have large families, and you might see what i mean. England is a very small country compared with America and Canada. We are getting overrun and i&#39;m pissed off with it [/b][/quote]
    maybe you should relax and live longer

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Maybe we should send them all to America, after all, they sent us David Blane,fairs fair&#33;

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by billyfridge+2 December 2003 - 03:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (billyfridge @ 2 December 2003 - 03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@2 December 2003 - 02:31

it&#39;s the ppl power that counts and makes a country strong
    Some immigrants work, and are useful members of society, but most don&#39;t work, and live off benefits. to give an example, one immigrant, who&#39;s application has been unsuccessful, lives in, or runs a mosque somewhere in London, has a wife and eight children. he is recieving benefits of around £1000.00 per week. he will, and has been appealing against the decision as long as he can. multiply this situation by about 250.000, because they all have large families, and you might see what i mean. England is a very small country compared with America and Canada. We are getting overrun and i&#39;m pissed off with it [/b][/quote]
    While refugees are not invading, it&#39;s good to see the shoes on the other foot, the poms invaded half the world and now all people they conqured all want to live there wither they have permission or not.

A touch of irony there if i&#39;m not mistaken. ^_^ ^_^

B)

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by junkyardking@2 December 2003 - 08:57
    While refugees are not invading, it&#39;s good to see the shoes on the other foot, the poms invaded half the world and now all people they conqured all want to live there wither they have permission or not.

A touch of irony there if i&#39;m not mistaken. ^_^ ^_^
    Well made sir&#33;

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Just a few points to make,
    1) one of the main reasons why we&#39;re seeing record numbers of applicants in recent years is because of the wars in: Iraq, Afghanistan, and a bit further back in time the various conflicts in the Balkans.
    The pic shows countires of origin for the top 10 in 2002, check out 1,2,3 Iraq, Zimbabwe, and Afghanistan. Are we ourselves responsible slightly for this increase in applications?

Iraq: 14,940
    Zimbabwe: 7,695
    Afghanistan: 7,380
    Somalia: 6,680
    China: 3,735
    Sri Lanka: 3,180
    Turkey: 2,890
    Iran: 2,685
    Pakistan: 2,440
    DR Congo: 2,315

2) Separate economic migrants from asylum seekers/refugees, although asylum seekers are often unskilled and will end up on benefits, immigrants as a whole are a different story and contribute a great deal to our economy and the advancement of our society. Many immigrants are better educated or more highly skilled than the average Brit and don&#39;t deserve to be seen as the spongers you seem to take them for.

3) The EU constitution saying we will have to take some refugees, probably won&#39;t be a problem at all, we already take in more asylum seekers (or is it immigrants?) than any other industrialised nation, this law as i understand it will probably lead to a decrease in applications in Britain.

4) Although Britain may receive a great deal of asylum applications, and Britain is relatively small, it is highly urbanised and populous, I don&#39;t think we&#39;re in the top five for applications/head of population. We are not being &#39;overrun&#39; to the same extent that other countries may feel they are.

5) Each asylum seeker can claim a maximum of 40 quid a week. I don&#39;t know how much children can claim, but i kinda doubt that even with a family of 9 dependents that he gets 1000 quid a week.

6) You can take the lower of the following graphs in two ways, either the governments gotten a lot easier about letting people in, or the percentage of real applicants has risen steeply

7) The only damning statistic i could find was that applications in North America and the rest of Europe have fallen. This does tend to suggest that Britain is seen as a better place to go to than the rest of Europe. In a study the 3 main reasons were:
    a ) people already had family/friends in britain
    b ) Simply the fact that we speak English (for similar reasons France gets a high amount of applicants from French speaking areas)
    c ) They know they&#39;ll get support (benefits etc) in Britain.

As to the fall in asylum numbers:
    According to the figures, there were 16,000 applications for asylum in the first three months of 2003. That&#39;s a fall of 32% on the previous quarter and the lowest figures for some time.

Historically, asylum applications tend to fall during winter months and there have been falls elsewhere in the European Union, albeit by nowhere near the same degree,
    But a closer look at the figures reveal what refugee agencies say time and time again: The majority of people who come to the UK continue to come from countries where there is either war, social unrest or a record of persecution.

The top five applicant nationalities in the first quarter of 2003 were Iraq, Somalia, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and China. That&#39;s the same top five as for the whole of 2002.

There has been an enormous 75% fall in applications from Sri Lanka since the first quarter of 2002. The Refugee Council says this is a "clear consequence" of the peace process which is now a year old.

Similarly, applications from Afghans are starting to fall as international efforts to stablise the nation continue.

As for applications from Europe, the numbers are fairly insignificant in comparison to the bigger picture.

The one statistic which has raised eyebrows among refugee agencies is applications from Zimbabwe.

These have fallen dramatically despite, according to campaigners, no improvement in the human rights situation in the country.

They say the government&#39;s visa restrictions on entrants from Zimbabwe is at the heart of this.
    Seems like we&#39;re celebrating too soon imo. But these kinds of measures can be effective, Australia for example apparently has had a lot of success in reducing the number of applicants, but would you be happy with the measures they took to achieve it?

Source for info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2807923.stm#

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Good points ILW.
    We should all remember that these refugees are humans too, and do you really think that anyone would leave their country and their families unless they were suffering hardship there?
    There is too much hysteria, especially in the tabloid press, and it is corrupting people&#39;s minds away from the facts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12