Thread: Xp Home Remote Acces?

I run my own website and will be on vacation at some time.

Can I use remote access to do this?

How do I use remote access, I have never used it.

I will be using a computer (on the road) which I has no special software nor do I have admin privledges. The OS is windows 98 for the road computer.

Does win 98 have any romate access features?

what do I need to do to ready my computer for remote acess? I have never set it up or used it.

How risky is it to leave it in remote acces mode?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by healimonster@1 December 2003 - 22:30
    How risky is it to leave it in remote acces mode?
    its like leaving your front door open

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    is it really that bad? cos i was contemplating running it so i could dl from home, from uni....just never bothered to forward the port on my router.
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Nah. It is risky but depends what stuff you are trying to secure. If you are just a normal user you shouldnt have probs. Get good firewall and setup a good password for remote access. Dont give out the info that you have enabled remote access on ur pc.

In WinXP Pro you could just use its own remote desktop feature. But with home it doesnt come. There are softwares available you can check on webattack.com for remote access. You might need to install the software on both computers to use it.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    yeah I.am is right, as long as you have it set up properly you should have no problems with it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    XP Home doesn&#39;t come with the Remote Desktop feature, but maybe someone knows how to add it in. (?) If this is the case, then you can d/l something for free from Microsoft to install on your Win98 machine which will allow you to connect.

Otherwise, Symantec PCAnywhere is a good alternative, and can be secured with different encrytion levels and user passwords, etc.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    You can use something like PCANYWHERE, it has a proven record for reliability and security
    Robert00000