Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first CAMRip ever made? (1982)

renhoek93's Avatar Poster
    Don't know which board this would technically belong under so i am just going to post it here.

There is a guy on YouTube who tracks down old bootleg VHS tapes and converts them over to digital files.

He frequently uploads footage from old VHS CAMs from years ago two of the clips on his channel are from a CAM of ET recorded in 1982.

I think this is one of the very first CAMRips ever made and if it is this is a very rare piece of history.

Last edited by renhoek93; 01-26-2021 at 11:00 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Can't watch the videos at the moment, but this seems very interesting! I don't think it was pre'd anywhere, though

While we're at it, did you know Russia manufactured a computer expansion card that allowed VHS tapes to be used to store data?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArVid

Considering the wide availability of these tapes and the fact a few GB was a lot of space at the time, I'm surprised this apparently didn't catch on anywhere else.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Well, by the mid-90s we had Zip disks. Clearly much better technology.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I would like to one-up your post with this storage format that no one remembers.

Image.jpg

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Same company!

I almost wish I had kept my zip drive and a few zip disks. Perfect storage medium for my bitcoin wallets. Pretty much unhackable as offline storage medium.

If I had a bit coin wallet, that is.
    Last edited by Caballero; 01-26-2021 at 07:14 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    I almost wish I had kept my zip drive and a few zip disks. Perfect storage medium for my bitcoin wallets. Pretty much unhackable as offline storage medium.
    Until they go click click click, and not exactly from the coins stored inside... I think dead trees would be a better choice

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Can't watch the videos at the moment, but this seems very interesting! I don't think it was pre'd anywhere, though

While we're at it, did you know Russia manufactured a computer expansion card that allowed VHS tapes to be used to store data?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArVid

Considering the wide availability of these tapes and the fact a few GB was a lot of space at the time, I'm surprised this apparently didn't catch on anywhere else.

Camcorders didn't exist until 1982/1983 so what kind of camera could these have been filmed with? Also I think the a new hope one is a re-release from before 1981.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Obviously time traveling pirates on a mission to defile copyright laws.

If that seems improbable, then consider that the date a movie is released doesn't mean that is when it was recorded on cam. Any time after the availability of camcorders could be when it was recorded-- either at a small theater rereleased, some guys with access to a theater after-hours, or studio executive's kids showing off for their friends. There have always been dollar theaters that have had access to films long after their initial release.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    If I had to guess, I'd say they sneaked in a "real" camera during a late-night showing in some small theater. Maybe with complicity from the staff and/or aided by a story about how Little Johnny really wanted to see Star Wars but had been hit by an airplane the previous week. These were simpler times... no surveillance cameras everywhere, no Internet to upload to, generation loss limiting the spread of physical copies (and Paul Kersey had just gotten a revolver with ammunition past airport security nine years prior).

But Occam's razor says time-traveling pirates are the most likely explanation

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say they sneaked in a "real" camera during a late-night showing in some small theater. Maybe with complicity from the staff and/or aided by a story about how Little Johnny really wanted to see Star Wars but had been hit by an airplane the previous week. These were simpler times... no surveillance cameras everywhere, no Internet to upload to, generation loss limiting the spread of physical copies (and Paul Kersey had just gotten a revolver with ammunition past airport security nine years prior).

But Occam's razor says time-traveling pirates are the most likely explanation
    I guess that makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast