Thread: Installing New Codecs

mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Hi,
    I want to update my Codecs to v2.20. but I have a couple of questions I don't see answers to in the FAQ's (sorry if I overlooked them). I tried installing yesterday but was prohibited and received a message, something like "not compatible with W32 or something to that affect" so I discontinued the process.

1-Do I need to uninstall the earlier version or can I install over?

2-How do I know which one...Full or Basic is best for me (more[Full] is better?)

3-Which Download location? 1-2-3-4-5? HTTP-HTTP DDL?

4-My present version is, I believe 2.10 (has VLC v0.6.2 and BSplayer Build 803 v1.00 RC1).

5-Where in my file will it tell me what Codec version (2.10?) I have now? I don't see it anywhere.

This will be my first time to update so now I want to be sure I know what I'm doing. Obviously I did something wrong with yesterday's attempt.

Thanks,
    mrlessk

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    muchspl2
    you don't need to update unless there is a problem, you should be fine
    between the codec you do have and http://www.videolan.org you should have no problems playing any legit movie

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Ok muchspl2, if there would be no value added by updating I'll just stay with what I have.
    Thanks,
    mrlessk :newyear:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Forum Star
    1) You can install over it. But I think you need to redownload the 2.20 installer because that W32 error usually means an incomplete file.

2) Basic should be enough for you

3) It doesn't matter. All have the same file.

5) The version is shown in "add/remove programs" or "software" in your windows control panel.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mrlessk's Avatar Poster
    Excellent Paul!
    Thanks for answering each of my questions. All is clear now.
    Interesting though, when I went and checked in my Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP Home) I was very surprised to see that it is showing v2.20 Full
    So somehow, in spite of my ignorance and embarrassing acknowledgement of not knowing what I was doing, v2.20 must have installed during my feeble attempts yesterday.
    Everything seems to be working ok so far so, guess I'll leave well enough alone.
    mrlessk