Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Password Protect Windows Shutdown/restart

I do not care about the unplugging the turn off button is what i care about.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Excellent shn! Does it also block people from pressing the power button and turn it off?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i dont think you can block people from using the power button from turning it off. it stops power to the motherboard so how can your operating system stop that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    FST Retiree
    Originally posted by shn@3 December 2003 - 02:54
    To prevent that youll need to make a few changes to the group policy settings on that computer or if your on a server then the server box. Group policy settings can be changed in administrative tools but there is also an option to go straight to it by entering the command in the run box.
    Start>Run>secpol.msc

the 2 things that will need to be changed are.....

Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignments
    Policy: "Shutdown the system"

Use this to control which users and groups are allowed to shutdown the system. If a user or group is not listed in this policy, they will not be allowed to shut down the system from the start menu.

Security Settings>Local Policies>Security Options
    Policy: "Shutdown: Allow the system to be shut down without having to log on"

This policy, when set to disabled, will remove the option to shutdown from the welcome screen. This ensures that only the users or groups in the previous policy can shut down the system (as long as the users with the rights to shutdown have password protected accounts).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12